022 》fake smile

• sick of losing soulmates // dodie •

A couple nights later, late in the evening, Jax heard the shouting from two floors up. He could recognize Kaede's fiery anger anywhere. He opened his door and was able to listen to the conversation happening at her doorstep, travelling up the stairwell.

Specifically, he heard Kaede and her ex-boyfriend, Seth. The argument seemed heated, but he didn't want to interfere. He stayed put, ready if she needed him.

"Would you keep it down?!" shouted the grumpy old man from a floor below Jax.

Kaede's voice had calmed as she spoke, "I don't care what you have to say. Leave, now."

"Kaedie, please," Seth begged—rather pathetically, Jax noticed.

"No. How you broke things off between us... was a really shitty thing to do. I don't need you randomly showing up four years after the damage was done with your fake apologies for the only purpose of easing your conscience. I hate what you did to me. And I was stupid to get so attached."

"Tell me you didn't love me; that you don't feel anything with me standing here right now."

Jax noted that her voice faltered when she responded, "I don't."

"Now I know you're lying."

Jax heard footsteps receding, then Kaede's door slamming. As soon as he saw Seth was gone, Jax quickly went down the two floors and stopped at her door.

He knocked softly and guessed she was sitting against the door as he heard quiet sobs that nearly broke him. "Kaede?" he called lowly.

He heard her sniffling, then a hoarse voice spoke, "Jax?"

"Can you please open the door, sweetheart?"

Shuffling sounds came from the other side, then the door opened, revealing her smiling form with the faint tint of red under her eyes. "Hey."

"Don't do that," Jax shook his head sadly.

"Do what?" she asked, furrowing her brows and wondering how much he'd heard earlier.

"Fake smile when I know you're hurting."

He seemed to have broken the wall with that statement as her face fell, her eyes began to water, and she moved forward into his arms.

He knew how hurt the girl must have been because she'd never cry in front of him—even during sad movies when he knew she wanted to, she would never shed a tear with him around.

Jax walked forward slowly, Kaede still wrapped around him as he closed the door and moved them to her couch. He went to sit but ended on his back with her falling right on top of him. She didn't move; she kept her arms around his torso and her face buried in the crook his neck. He could feel her warm tears running off her cheeks and onto his skin, but he didn't mind.

He kept one arm on her back to keep her in place and reached with the other to grab the remote. He knew she didn't want to talk, and that when she did, she'd tell him.

Though for now, he'd gladly hold her until all that threatened her had disappeared, and she'd feel safe. What he didn't know was that with him always being there for her, made her feel safer than ever.