001 》first words

• absolutely smitten // dodie •

"Oh, fuck."

Those were his first words to her.

"Shit, sorry."

And those were her first words to him.

Neither could have guessed what'd come of meeting on the rooftop of their building at midnight when they both needed a getaway from their own profoundly shitty lives which lead up to that particularly shitty night.

She laughed as he threw what she was sure not to be a cigarette off the ledge of the roof. "I didn't know anyone else was here."

"It's fine," he said, holding his breath. "There's enough roof for the two of us."

He turned around, slowly letting out the smoke as if to be subtle even though she knew exactly what he was doing. As he then made his way to the old couch left there from before either moved in, she walked over to the ledge, looking off at the city. The sky was dark, but with the city as bright as it was, she could see no stars.

They stayed in the comfortable silence for a while before he broke it. "Do you often blatantly ignore signs that tell you not to enter roof access doors?" he asked, referring to the Authorized Personnel Only poster hung on the other side of the entrance.

She chuckled, looking over her shoulder at him. "I'm the one that put that sign there." He raised his eyebrows, smirking in an almost impressed manner. "I like it up here, and I didn't want to share."

"That's pretty selfish of you."

She shrugged, smirking, as well. She could have said that her plan didn't seem to work, but instead opted for asking the man the same question he had. "What about you? Do you often ignore signs on doors?"

"Quite often, actually." She hummed in response, nodding and turning back to the city. "5C, aren't you?" he asked, standing up to walk to where she stood, which was when she noticed the medical brace on his right wrist.

"Excuse me?"

"It's your apartment number, isn't it?"

"Yeah..."

"7B," he stated, offering his left hand.

"Nice to meet you, 7B."

"Likewise." Another beat of silence passed before he said, "I was wrangling a skunk before you got up here."

"As most people do on the rooves of their buildings in the middle of the night," she agreed sarcastically, shrugging her left shoulder.

He laughed—a genuine one—and said, "I like you, 5C. I think we'll be good friends."

"What makes you so sure I want a midnight skunk wrangler for a friend?"

"Who doesn't?"

She tried holding back another smile, nodding her head softly, "Maybe we will be good friends."

Eventually, she sat down, her back leaning against the four-foot tall ledge surrounding the roof. She let out a deep sigh, letting everything that had happened that day finally hit her.

"You seem particularly sulky. Has your day been as great as mine?"

"Oh, do you want to have this contest? Because I guarantee I'll win."

"Challenge accepted," he declared, sitting beside her. "I'll go first. My sister was arrested a few hours ago for being caught with a gram of pot. I found out my favourite pizza place is being shut down. I tripped on my coffee table this morning—breaking it, my television, and my wrist—though luckily it was my right. And I stepped in a puddle outside the building about one foot deep, ruining my new sneakers," he finished with a sarcastic smile.

"That's it?" she said, almost uninterestedly.

"You think you can beat that?"

"Oh, I know I can," she nodded. "My cousin just got engaged, reminding me of my blissfully shitty love life because I broke up with my boyfriend. Turns out he's a cheating misogynistic asshole, who knew? Um, I missed my midterm because the power went out in just my apartment this morning, so my phone didn't charge which means no alarm. And I stepped in the same puddle, ruining my new jeans."

He slowly clapped for her. "Shitty day queen," he chanted. She couldn't help laughing, thinking that this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.