025 》sensitive subject

• you there // aquilo •

He woke up around 3AM the next night to the sound of knocking on his door. Wearing only his boxers, Jax grabbed a white t-shirt thrown on his dresser before groggily trudging to the front door. He opened it to find his favourite neighbour—dressed in dark blue pyjama pants, and a black t-shirt.

He pulled on his shirt and then noticed her shivering. When he reached to grab her arm, he felt how cold she was. "You're freezing, Kaede. Get in here."

Jax grabbed the blanket on the back of the couch and wrapped it around her, rubbing her arms in an attempt to add some heat. "C—can I s—sleep here?" she asked quietly.

He saw how broken she was, and figured he knew why. "You're not stuttering because you're cold, are you?" She shook her head, leaning into his chest. "Come here," he mumbled, pulling her closer to him.

When Kaede warmed up, she backed up and went to move to the couch. Jax stopped her, grabbing her arm.

"You're not sleeping on the couch. You can take my bed."

"N—no, I won't k—kick you out of your own room."

"How about we share then?" he offered.

Kaede looked as though she was contemplating, but she knew wanted nothing more than for him to wrap his arms around her until the sweet release of sleep finally took over.

She nodded her head, and Jax took her hand to lead her to the bedroom. It was strange for him to see her so sad. In the day, she was this snarky, strong kind of woman. But once the darkness came, it was as if it scared her. Jax knew something must have been going on with her that she didn't want to share, and understanding the feeling, he didn't want to push.

He took her to his room, and there she fell back asleep peacefully, not having a nightmare.

***

In the morning, Kaede woke to the smell of pancakes and bacon. She stretched in Jax's bed, lifting herself up and squinting at the light that came through the blinds.

Kaede walked out and toward the kitchen. She heard voices, and when she reached the doorway, she saw Willow leaning over the counter and picking at food.

"Oh, shit. Hey, Kaede," Willow greeted, mouth full of bacon as she stood up straighter. She looked at her brother to see him smiling at the newly woken girl and thought the youngest Castle understood what had happened. "I didn't know she spent the night," she teased quietly, well knowing Kaede could hear.

Jax rolled his eyes, flipping another pancake onto the plate. "Shut up."

"God, I was in the apartment, Jax," she mock-scolded him.

"How about you drop it, Will? Okay?" he snapped lowly.

"Geez, sensitive subject. I'll be in my room," she sang as she left with her plate.

Once she was out of ear-shot, Jax spoke to Kaede who stood near the plate of food. "I'm sorry about her."

She quickly dismissed it. "No, it's okay. Let her bug you," she smirked.

Jax chuckled, "Yeah, but now she thinks we slept together." Kaede shrugged, fixing herself a plate. He half-smirked, tilting his head at her. "Why do you look like you don't hate the idea?"

She kissed his cheek lightly, "Thanks for the food." Kaede turned around, grabbing her plate and walking out into the living room.

Jax shook his head as he flipped another pancake, muttering to himself, "That woman will be the death of me."