Chapter 16: Quite Some Drama

Chihiro

Why did she have to go to school? Why couldn’t she have stayed there with Haku the whole day. They would never run out of things to say to each other. But now she had to leave and face Kao. Oh joy. The minute she stepped through the doors into the school she realized something was off. Eyes followed her all the way down the hall till she reached her locker. Boys brushed into her, giving her looks, girls glaring at her. What had happened? Marcus, a boy who she had a couple of classes with leaned up against the locker next to hers. “So, I heard what happened yesterday. Do you think you could do the same for me?” Chihiro gave him a quizzical look.

             “And what exactly did I do yesterday?”

             “You haven’t heard? Kao told a lot of people what you guys did yesterday. I didn’t peg you for the kind of girl who slept around, but you never really know anyone, right?”  

                           “Ha, hate to break it to you, but I’m not one of those girls that sleeps around with every guy she sees. And what he’s saying never happened. He’s lying.”

             “Oh, sure.” He said back. He smiled a weird smile at her and walked away, his gaze lingering on her.

She saw Kao standing outside of the Pre-Calc room with his friends. Chihiro marched up to him. He saw her coming. “Hey baby ho-“ And that’s all he got to say before he was slapped across the face.

             “You need to  go around and tell people that I did not do anything with you. You kissed me and I regret the whole thing. And you’re the one who told me to leave after I broke it apart. Don’t lie to make yourself look better. It doesn’t help you at all. Just remember that.”

Haku

“Crap. Crap. CRAP!” Haku’s mind raced as he looked at the now upset Turnip Spirit. The spirit was about 8 feet tall and on his back wailing. Why? Because he had slipped on some spilled water and hurt his little root, or also known as his foot.

“Mr. Turnip Spirit I am so sorry that you-“ He was cut off by a loud wail from the spirit’s mouth. “I promise you I will see to whoever left this water here. I will also see that they have an extra hardwork schedule.” The Turnip stopped his wailing and looked at Haku with large eyes. “Now,” Haku used some magic to help him to his feet, now foot because one hurt, “I will spend you to one of the Herbal Tubs with the finest in that department.” Haku paused then yelled, “Lin!” she next to him instantly. “Please take Mr. Turnip Spirit to your tub and make sure he is comfortable, his bath is on the house.” Lin nodded and took the Turnip’s arm and helped him to the tub.

“That was fun…” Haku sighed. A Turnip Spirit may not be a big deal but they also help the Soil Spirits during harvest and if something happened to any of the many of them the human worlds food supply would decrease.

Haku made his way to the front desk to collect the money box. Today was counting day. He was going to spend the rest of night up in his  office counting the income of the bathhouse for the last month. Then he was to go through the list of guests and see who had been enough times to be offered a discount or a “membership card”.

Once in his office Haku took the small box and dumped it on the floor. It was a small box no bigger than bread. As he dumped it everything from money from all places, jewels large and small, gold, silver, etc… fell and it kept coming. Though the box was small magic had made it capable of holding much more. After a little under five minutes the last few rubies and diamonds fell out.

Haku put the box on the corner of this desk and then looked at the pile before him and thought, “This is going to be soooooo fun…” with dry sarcasm.