Chapter 10: A New Kid

Chihiro

New students. Chihiro feels bad for them. Really.  She’s the newest new student, and she’s been going to this school for seven years. They never get accepted. They get thrown to the side and no one looks twice. That’s why she feels exceptionally sorry for the new boy at this school. He’s actually quite attractive, not in a way that she would want, but those popular may take him. Kao is his name. He’s really tall, she overheard him tell another kid he was 6’5. Talk about giant. His hair jet black and it’s super long. He usually has it tied back with a rubber band. And his skin, white as snow. Her one question was, why would you want to come to this school?

In English class Kao leans over to Chihiro and taps her shoulder. She looked over at him and he smiles. She smiled back, being friendly. “I have to tell you something.” His voice comes out, deep and dark and really slow and mellow. Chihiro gave him a quizzical look. “I think you’re really pretty.” She blushes and looks down.

             “Thank you.” She says. “But I don’t know you and I’m seeing someone.” His face fell.

             “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize. But, Chihiro, you are a very pretty girl. He’s a lucky boy, whoever has your heart.” He turned back forward and mumbled a few things. She decided not to listen, but she’d soon regret that.

Haku

“LIN!!!!!” Haku’s voice rang though the bathhouse and the whole building got silent.

Down in the boiler room Kamaji said “Uh oh, Lin, you’re in trouble!” to her as she threw little stars to the bouncing balls of soot.

“I don’t think that’s it. I think he is happy.” She smiled, “I think he saw Chihiro.” She winked.

“WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHATTTTTTTTT??? No way!?” The multi-armed man questioned.

“Yeah!” Lin’s eyes lit up. Then Haku pushed the small sliding door open and came in.

“I SAW HER! SHE WAS THERE!!! SHE WAS THERE!!” Haku’s eyes where glowing bright in a way they haven’t in years. “She is alive!! And well!! And she misses me!” Haku was pacing around the room and beaming. “She is so beautiful! Her hair is longer but it still looks so soft. She is still pale but not sickly. She just… gah she is SO beautiful!” Haku sighed as he sank to the floor.

Lin and Kamaji stared at the boy mouths a gap.

Breathing hard Haku looked around at them and waited for them to reply.

“AHHHHHHHH!!!! That’s great!!!!” Lin attacked him in a hug. “That’s wonderful! I’m so glad! Where is she!? Why isn’t she here!?” Lin questioned.

“Well… there is something in the way…” Haku took a moment and explained the barrier to them and how it was something that his magic couldn’t break and that he was only able to make a small hole.

“ummm.. that’s odd…” Kamaji murmured while scratching his mustache thinking about the magic.

“I honestly don’t even care though!” Haku smiled, “I can hear and see her and she can hear and see me. I will find a way to break it though, to make sure that we can stay together.”

They all talked a bit longer until the heard a commotion up stairs. “Crap… What was that?” Haku asked standing up and starting to head out. “I’ll take you to see her next time, okay Lin? Now get to work!”

He heard Lin cuss at him and Kamaji laughed loudly as he slide the door shut.

As Haku walked up the stairs of the bathhouse he heard his name being yelled, “Master Haku! Master Haku!”

“I’m coming, I’m coming.” He said aloud then thought. “Great what’s wrong now? I don’t want to have to deal with any drama. I have other things I need to work on figuring out.”