Chapter 14: The Perfect Coward

Start from the beginning

"Mr. Worthington is here," the maid said, referring to Edward. "His carriage just arrived."

Leila frowned. "So soon? But I am not even dressed!" She ran a hand through her hair and cursed. "Tell Bessie to take him to the drawing room and offer him some tea. I should be down shortly. Send Cara up to dress me."

"Yes ma'am," the maid ducked out to follow Leila's orders. When she was gone, Leila cursed again and sat down on the edge of the bed.

She couldn't face Edward Worthington in the state that she was in. God, she needed that wine.

Face him now with the promise of the wine later. You've been through worse.

Despite that uplifting thought, Leila still couldn't shake the jittery feeling of utter dread as Cara dressed her. Though she looked ready, she did not feel it, and wanted nothing more than to curl up in a dark corner and remain there for the rest of her years. To think she had been brought down so low all because of her brother, all because she couldn't control him and his actions. Did he even know what his actions cost her? Marigold?

Their lives were in the hands of others now, and that was always Leila's worst nightmare.

"I've survived worse," she whispered while she headed to the drawing room, where her next challenge awaited her. "I've been through worse."

She stood in front of the door and breathed in deep. Another threshold for her to cross, and she had crossed many before.

"I've survived worse," she whispered before opening the door.

XXX

Portsmouth

The Capricorn docked in Portsmouth midafternoon, and Ross found it rather amusing how glad Charlotte seemed to be to finally feel land beneath her feet rather than planks of wood on a ship.

"Thank the Lord, I never thought I would see this day," She said as she strode off the gangway and onto the docks. "Why did you convince me to come with you, Ross? It was horrid idea!"

"I didn't," Ross grouched while he instructed a crewmember with their luggage. "You imposed yourself on me and I protested, or did you forget?"

Charlotte scowled at him. "Excuse me for wanting to lend a hand."

"I still don't recall asking you," Ross held up a hand before she could open her mouth. "I am grateful you are here with me all the same, Charlotte.'

Charlotte smirked at that. "Of course you are," then her expression shifted back to the careful expression she often sported since he told her what happened the night he had left Belmoran. "Are you well, Ross?"

"As well as I can be," he murmured, gesturing to the carriage. "As I recall, it's quite the trip from here to Lanfore, so I suggest we get on."

Charlotte didn't look convinced, but she nodded and walked towards the carriage while Ross paid the crewman.

He was so close, he could feel it. He was closer to her. Lucy was somewhere on this sordid rock, away from him still. But to think that she was closer now than she had ever been gave him a sense of hope that he had not felt for a very long time. He wasn't sure where he went from here, where she could be, but Lanfore, her home, was his best start. That or London, both were likely, but he could not be in two places at once...

Unless...

Ross stepped into the carriage and sat forward in deep thought while it jolted to a start. Charlotte watched him, curious, but silent. She had seen him in a similar position before, and she knew how he did like to be disturbed when he was in thought. She was a similar way, and far more violent when interrupted.