They had to break the basement windows and knock into the walls.

12/22

Dear Diary,

Wow. A lot just happened.

I was taking a nap when all of a sudden I got woken up by my mom screaming my name.

"YEAH?" I replied.

"PAISLEY!!!!"

I jumped out of bed. "WHAT?"

"CALL 911!"

"WHY?" My heart was pounding. I had no idea what was going on. My mom and I were the only ones home.

"OUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE!"

My mind raced. I couldn't even think. We put the dog in the backyard and called 911.

Payge, our 17-year-old neighbor, took the Inka into her house and then waiting with us.

Like, seven fire trucks came. It seemed like it took them forever to get there. I was panicking. What about my cats? My photos and keepsakes?

Finally, they showed up. There was smoke coming up from the basement where the fire was. The firefighters immediately went right in. They had to break the basement windows and knock into the walls. The whole neighborhood was outside watching us. Everyone came up and asked if we needed anything and if everyone was okay.

The fire got put out and the chief came over to talk to us. The fire started in the breaker box. It was a small, contained fire, so luckily none of our property was damaged. One of my cats and my rabbit is okay, but we haven't seen my other cat. He is probably fine.

Now we are in a hotel because there's no electricity and some of a wall is missing. Also, it smells like smoke.

The hotel is really clean and smells good. There is a whole kitchen and living room and separate bedroom and bathroom. Very nice.

It's kinda weird. I used to always imagine what I'd save if I were in a fire. I thought I'd grab my pictures or diaries or something. But I didn't have time for that. I didn't even have time to think. I think most people imagine what they'd do in situations like that, but you really can't know. It's all just too shocking. Fight or flight.

Anyway, I'm sure the rumor mill is at work.By tomorrow my house will have burnt down and my brother will be dead. [If it's not clear, I meant that the rumors would be that crazy.]

Well, this will surely be a Christmas that I'll always remember. I'll write more tomorrow.

Yours,
Pailsey Marin