"Thank you for that little trip down memory lane."

"You and Harry have much in common, Severus."

"You may be my superior, Dumbledore, but that doesn't mean I'll passively take insults from you," barked Snape.

"I don't say these things to hurt you, Severus; only to point out that your similarly unpleasant childhood gives you a unique understanding of Harry's situation, an understanding that could benefit both of you. You could offer the boy guidance in ways that no other could."

"I risk my life to protect his, isn't that enough?" growled Snape.

"I suppose so, Severus...I suppose," replied Dumbledore. It was pointless to continue. Severus was a stubborn young man and agitating him would only make him more so. Dumbledore rose, his chair disappeared, and he quietly left the room.

Lindsay had already begun preparing lunch by the time Albus climbed the stairs to the kitchen. "Did he kick you out too?"

"Something like that, yes," replied Albus.

"Apparently I get in his way," said Lin, smiling pleasantly. "He seems to be in kind of a funk these days."

"Severus has much on his mind."

"I guess he does," said Lin. "Would you like lunch in here or outside?"

"It's a lovely day," replied Albus. "We should enjoy it while we can."

"I doubt the dungeon gremlin will be joining us, but I'll make enough anyway."

Albus strolled out to the patio and put his face up to the sunshine. Peaceful moments were hard to come by and he took advantage of them whenever he could. He heard Lin singing to herself as she puttered about the kitchen and watched her for a moment through the windows. He smiled to himself and wondered if this is what it would be like to have a daughter. It was a warm day and the swimming pool looked very inviting. Albus conjured a short-legged chair at the pool's edge. He slipped off his shoes and socks and sat down with his feet dangling in the cool water.

Lindsay carried lunch out on a large tray and sat in on the patio table. She saws the short chair at the pool's edge, but it wasn't occupied. She didn't see Albus in the pool and assumed he was strolling in the garden, something he did quite often.

"Lunch is ready!" shouted Lin. She didn't receive an answer. "Albus?" She heard the sound of moving water, like someone had exited the pool and turned to see wet footprints appearing on the patio and striding toward her. Her blood chilled and she began to back up. She was just about to call for Professor Snape when she heard Albus' familiar mischievous voice say, "Boo." His body became visible in an instant. His eyes twinkled merrily as he laughed, making Lin break into a fit of hearty laughter too.

"Albus, you'll be the death of me."

"My mother used to say that too."

"I thought wizards needed cloaks to be invisible"

"Most do," said Albus as he sat to enjoy an inviting-looking lunch.

"I suppose that means you're not going to explain it to me?"

"It's probably best that I don't," replied Albus as he poured a glass of lemonade for his gracious hostess. "Lunch looks scrumptious."

Lindsay took her seat across from Albus. "It's one of Molly's recipes. I hope it turned out as well as hers always does."

Albus lifted a forkful. "Mmm, it's delicious."

"Oh, thank you, I'll be passing that thanks on to Molly later." She sipped her lemonade and sized up Albus' mood before speaking again. "I know it's none of my business, but I have to say this; I'm flabbergasted that the Ministry would threaten to send you to Azkaban. Why, Albus...why would they do such an appalling thing?"

Albus set his fork down and his shimmering blue eyes locked onto hers. His voice was even and pleasant, but it carried an unmistakable undertone of menace. "War is coming, Lin. It will be upon us before we know it. There are some in the Ministry who, for whatever personal reasons, have chosen the wrong side. Incarcerating me was a way of testing the waters, so to speak."

"You're their greatest threat."

"That's what they believe."

"Don't you think it's a bit dangerous to be sitting out in the open?"

"Not at all," smiled Albus as he lifted another forkful.

"You're as inscrutable as Professor Snape," said Lin before the notion dawned on her. "Oh, I see. Why would Albus Dumbledore be housed with me, Professor Snape's personal property?"

"Precisely."

"Forgive me, Albus, but that's a little stomach turning. I wonder when the Dark Lord will think me more trouble than I'm worth."

"You needn't worry, Lin, everything will be taken care of."

"What about Hogwarts? Are the children safe without you there?"

"Everything will be fine, Lin. The wheels are in motion. While we're on the topic, I've asked some members of the Order to meet with me here this evening. I hope you don't mind?"

"Of course not, but I thought you used headquarters for meetings."

"This is a special meeting, Lin. It'll be a small gathering."

"Do whatever you need to, Albus. Would you like dessert?"

"I'd thought you'd never ask."