Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Niall's POV

My feet quietly make their way up the large oak steps. I make sure to not cause any loud movements that would wake up the sleeping Bailey.

I had woken up an hour ago and cooked myself breakfast. It was now half-past eleven and she still wasn't awake.

I creak the door open and poke my head through, struggling to peer in the dark bedroom. Finally, after my pupils adjust, Bailey's frame comes into view. She's still fast asleep, and I can hear her light breathing.

With small movements, I step inside our shared room. With no source of light, I have trouble navigating around the vast area.

My foot suddenly catches hold of one of my sneakers that lays on the hard ground.

"Shit," I swear under my breath. My body jolts forward. With a thud, my other foot slams on the ground, and I try to steady myself. My head perks up at the sound of rustling sheets. I swear if I woke her up..

Bailey turns over in her sleep and clutches on to my pillow. I sigh, continuing my search for the bedside table.

I finally reach it after bumping into the leg of the piece of furniture. My hands reach out and fumble around in search for her phone. I grasp a hold of the device once it's found and immediately switch off the volume so it won't make any noise and wake her up. I dig out my own phone from my pocket and send a text to her.

"I'm going for a run on the beach. Won't be long."

Bailey's phone lights up, but doesn't make the normal notification sound. I chuckle under my breath when I look on the screen and it says, "Text Message From: Niallll" and with a bunch of kissy faces and pink and red heart emojis.

She'll see the text when she wakes up. Bailey's made a habit of checking her phone once she's awake every morning. She will see my text and know where I am without waking her up. I slip my own phone back into my pocket.

I close the door slowly and cautiously before descending down the stairwell again. I grab my sneakers that lay carelessly by the back door and slide them on my feet. I strip off my shirt and lay it on the back of a chair.

Barely anyone is on the beach. A few people here and there are scattered all around. Some are little kids that are splashing around in the water. Their parents keep an eye on them from further up the beach.

I find myself picturing those two parents as Bailey and I when we're older as I begin to run. I've always liked kids, but actually having kids kinda scares me. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I just find it stressful to have children that depend on you for shelter, food, love. I could go on. And changing diapers grosses me out. That would definitely be Bailey's job.

My brother has a little boy called Theo. He's adorable and all, but even Greg tells me how hard it is to keep up with him at times.

It'd be fun to have a son to kick the football around with. I would even be fine with a little girl. I'd get her to like football one way or another.

But I'm too young right now. Children are way out of the picture at this point in time. Bailey and I are only dating right now, too. I love her, though. Christ, do I love her. I've never felt so connected to anyone before. She knows me better than my own parents. I would do anything for her, and I never want to lose her. So what does that bring me to.. we can't just date forever.

God, even marriage scares me. It's such a big commitment. Of course it'd be so amazing to call Bailey my wife, but what if something were to happen with our relationship? I hope nothing happens, but you can never be sure.