Part 61

---Sylvia---

As much as I would've loved to wear one of my performing dresses, I knew I couldn't. From what Ricky had told me the place was too fancy for one of those. Though, this did give me the opportunity to wear one of my best dresses. I only had two, and one was from my high school years and it was a bit big. The other was a dress I'd bought from a little boutique during a visit to NYC. It was long and black with lace designs overlapping parts of the silk. It was also sleeveless with a low lace embroidered v neck.

I hadn't worn it out of fear of staining or ripping it, and also the fact that the neckline was a bit risky.

I slipped it on and inspected myself in the mirror. It definitely fits me better than the other one and it was snug enough over my boobs for me to be confident they wouldn't try to make a surprise appearance during the dinner.

I joined Ricky at the bathroom mirror and began applying my own makeup as he did his. He had on a black button up with a matching black vest and was applying the smokey eye look. I liked it and couldn't help but wonder why so many people had sticks up their asses about guys wearing makeup.

It was another twenty minutes before we were finally ready to leave. I put on my pea coat and we loaded into the car for the second time that day. The drive down was long and we joked and talked lightly over the music. The restaurant was in downtown Wilkes-Barre, a block away from the square.

Driving into the city was beautiful and reminded me of my old home in Vegas. We fell into silence as I fell in love with the lights as they passed by, only made brighter by the night. It was busier in the city and even busier than usual because it was Valentine's Day. People had made reservations in restaurants like we had. It took us a little while find a parking space and it was a bit of a walk but I didn't mind because I'd worn flats instead of heels and my pea coat was pretty good at keeping out the cold.

The restaurant was overflowing with people, the line ending outside.

"Do we go to the front? 'Cause the reservation?" I asked. I'd never made a reservation anywhere before. I didn't know. Ricky shivered in his coat.

"I think we do," he took my hand and began shuffling through the crowd. We made it through the first set of doors when a large man stepped in our way. He was wearing a suit with a bowtie around his collar that looked almost like it was choking him. His double chin protruded out over it like he was muffin topping with his neck. He had small sharp eyes, his head was balding and the remains of his hair were swiped back with gel or something. A woman stood defensively behind him. From the arch of her nose and the sharpness of her eyes, she reminded me of a bird. She reminded me of a bird while he reminded me of a mole rat.

"Excuse me," he snapped "Are you attempting to cut the line?"

"We made a reservation," Ricky said, unwavering. The fat man looked down at us, both physically and socially.

"Everyone here made a reservation. You do not cut the line in a prestigious place like this," he snit, adjusting his coat. What a character. He was pissing me off a little bit.

"I'm sorry," I cut in, "We didn't know if we should speak to our hostess first or-,"

"Maybe in your lower class eateries, but in places like this, you wait the line. Any more questions?"

"Yeah, have you always had that stick up your ass?" I asked. He inhaled sharply and gave me a disgusted look. His wife clasped a hand over her mouth. I was guessing this guy didn't have people snap at him often. I looked over at Ricky, expecting him to be the one to calm the situation but instead, he was smiling widely, which made me smile. While the man stumbled on a response I turned on my heel and made my way carefully through the crowd. Ricky followed and soon we were outside taking our place in line. We stood for a few moments without making any noise, both of us grinning guiltily. Then we both broke into small bits of laughter. The people in front of us turned around and stared.