Part 54

---Sylvia---

"I should leave soon, shouldn't I? We agreed to me staying until the court date. The court date has come and gone so... I could probably go stay with Cody for a bit. I almost have enough money to get another apartment." I uncurled the tin foil from the bundle of potatoes. The seasoning wafted up in smoky white steam and I felt satisfaction at the fact that they didn't smell like burning tinfoil and failure. My cooking skills were improving.

"Well..." Ricky slipped on the oven mits and I stepped back as he pulled down the oven door. He reached in and pulled out the chicken before placing it clumsily on the counter, swinging shut the door and waving his hands at the heat, "I need new oven gloves."

"Okay, thanks for answering my question. Do you like cold green beans?" I retrieved the can opener.

"I don't know, and um.. Did you know I lived with Chris for a while after moving from Seattle?"

"No, I didn't. Chris and I lost contact for a while. And you're going to like cold green beans."

"I trust you won't poison me. Anyway, Balz and I had a talk the other day about renting out a bigger house together. We've been talking for a while, actually."

"Oh, sorry. I probably should be looking for apartments, then."

"No, actually. We wanted to rent out this house that was a little over our budget. Three bedrooms, a living room, two bathrooms. A sun room. Kitchen. Other house stuff. We wanted to know, since your living situation kinda sucks,-"

"Gee thanks."

"-And you don't want to move back in with your mom, if you wanted to move in with us. Give it a shot, at least? We're going back to look at it next week and give our final answer. It looks like a steal, seriously. It's not actually too old but it has a nineteen hundreds look to it. You'll see." he reached up, pulling out the plates from the cabinet. "If you're interested, that is." We made the plates up, green beans and chicken with tinfoil cooked potatoes. I retrieved cans of coke from the refrigerator and together we took the plates into the living room. Settling down on the couch I could tell he was still waiting for me to answer.

"I'll definitely go look at it with you."

"So that's a maybe?"

"Yeah, a strong maybe. I really appreciate it, though. Thank you. You do know Wally would move in with me, right? How would Dexter feel about that? How would you and Balz feel about that?"

"I don't mind, Balz doesn't care and Dexter won't mind either."

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure." he raised his eyebrows at me and I ran it all over in my head. I liked living with him. He wasn't usually rude or too loud. He didn't bitch at me for leaving the occasional soda can or empty chip bag in the living room, and I tried my best not to make a mess. As for Balz, I've known him for a few years and he always seemed really funny and outgoing. What about financially?

"What about rent? We would all pay one third?"

"Yeah, can you imagine how much money would be left over? We could buy like, a flamethrower. And you could quit your job."

"As much as I would love to distance myself from that place and their addictive bread rolls..." He stared at me, a small smile playing on his lips as he waited for me to finish my sentence, "I... Have no argument. I hate having to wear to wear a uniform and be really nice to really rude people who leave really bad tips."

"It's a yes?"

"It's a probably."

"I will take that."