Part 48

---Sylvia---

"I don't know, Via. Everything's just falling apart and... Marlee thinks I should find something a bit more stable." Mark's voice carries quietly over the phone, "I've loved being in a band with you and I've been here since Cody first asked me to be but... Maybe it's time we move on, ya know?"

"Yeah... yeah, Mark. I understand. I know... A few more shows? They'll pay us down at the club and that's it. I already set up shit with Phillip."

"Who's gonna play drums and keyboards?"

"I can play keyboard and... I'll hire someone."

"With what money?... Nick can play, can't he? Maybe he cou-,"

"No."

"Why not?"

"We're fighting."

"Well how about you grow the hell up and ask him to help you out?! Your family, if he won't help you then he too can take a page from the book of growing the fuck up. We need a drummer."

"...Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay."

"OKAY!" he yelled in triumph and hung up. Bastard. I put down my phone and rolled off the bed onto the floor. The carpet smelled kind of nice. I rolled around for a few minutes, soaking in my own disliking of the situation.

Whilst laying face down on the floor I heard footsteps and then someone laid down beside me. I turned my head to see Ricky.

"I'm glad I vacuumed," he said. I turned my face back into the carpet.

"Mm."

"What was that?" he asked, poking me.

"Mm."

"Deep. Intellectual. You spoke from the depths of my soul. You just unraveled the secrets of the universe. Write a book."

"Shut your whore mouth."

"Mind blowing. Earth shattering. Philosophers don't have shit on you." he said and I turned to face him again.

"I have to talk to my brother," I said and his expression tensed slightly.

"You still haven't told them yet, have you? About Ian?"

"Nope. And I don't plan on it." We both shifted into sitting positions on the carpet.

"You're not gonna tell them?" he sounded slightly pissed.

"No. Why would I? My mom would flip her shit and Dani can't keep a secret. I don't want it getting out into social media-,"

"That's what you're worried about? Seriously, Via? You don't want people to know Ian is an abusive asshole? You want to shield him or something?" he raised his voice and added, "He's a complete dick and I have no idea why you're working so hard to keep him out of jail."

"He's in jail right now."

"Temporarily. There's going to be a trial and you know you have to press charges."

"No way?! Really!? I had NO FUCKING IDEA." I spat. The thought of going into court stressed me out. Talking about Ian stressed me out. Everything he was saying was weighing down on my head. He looked even more pissed just then and I regretted my sarcasm. I regretted being such a difficult ass.

"What are you even gonna tell your family anyway? You fell down the stairs on your face? That you're going to court because you were fucking clumsy?" he snapped. I felt all the fight drain from me and guilt took over. I hung my head and gave up.

"I'm sorry."

"What?"

"I'm sorry." I said, "I'm overwhelmed." I placed my hands over my face and tangled my fingers in my hair. I felt tears in my eyes again, which pissed me off. Fucking weak. There was silence for a few moments and I sniffed and ran my hands through my hair. We made eye contact again and his expression softened.

"I'm sorry for yelling." he paused, looking guilty, "And being an asshole. I'm an asshole."

"No, you're right. I'm gonna tell them... Just not today. And I know I have to press charges. I know. And I will, but all of this is fucking overwhelming and I hate it."

"Yeah," he nodded, "It is." There was another silence and then, "Come here." he told me but he was the one who moved over and wrapped me in a hug. "I'm sorry. I know you're overwhelmed." I hugged back.

"Sorry for being difficult. I know I am. And sorry for crying. I fucking hate crying during arguments but I can't really help it."

"It's fine. It makes me feel guilty."

"I know. You're gonna hate me for it."

"Probably."