Chapter 10.

1550 dollars. The lawyer of the Clark family voices replayed in Josh’s head while he found the first clothes he could find. Black sweatpants and a gray oversized tee shirt weren’t exactly what you call fashionable but at this moment, Josh didn’t care. His mind was racing with other way more important thoughts to care about that. He slipped on a pair of black vans that he hardly ever wore, but they were comfy. That was all he cared about, for being up at five am; comfort was the best thing possible.

Picking up his glasses he put them so he was able to see what he was doing. Following that, he picked up his phone, my car keys and wallet that were all lying on the desk in his bedroom.

Since Nate had left, the house had been awfully quite. Their parents didn’t know what to do. Josh knew there had to be a way of getting his brother out, and this seems like he might of just found a bit of hope. Hoping that the police station accepts credit cards because he didn’t have 1550 freaking dollars in cash. Unless he wanted to take money from his parents, he didn’t want to do that.

Upon hearing the stir, a short woman appeared in the hallway, which happened to be his mother. “Where are you going?” The middle-aged woman asked her son in astonishment. He hadn’t come out of his room since last night. The bags under his dark green eyes were evident that he hadn’t slept a bit.

“Police station, it’s Nate.” He spoke urgently and blunt, rushing down the steps that lead to the entry of the grand house, opening the front door.

“What? What’s happened?” She followed behind him, holding the door open.

“I’ll tell you later.” He called back to her as he walked to his car.

“Okay but be careful please.” She pleaded in concern. He barely had time to nod before unlocking the sports car, got in and took off down the street as fast as he could.

If only she knew what was happening. Her son how had been arrested, was coming home. Although he was using the money his parents’ had given to him for a early graduation present to save a “criminal” from jail, Josh would do anything for his brother. Before he could think about it anymore, he had already driven the car down multiple freeways, breaking almost every driving rule there was. His hands were shaking in nervousness and fear as he turned a sharp corner, the police station coming into full view.

As much as he wanted to deny it, Josh knew the answer for all of this was there, hidden between all of his doubts for his brother. Josh knew Nate had done so much wrong in his life, but he was willing to help his brother, to right all of his wrongs. It was a long shot, but he knew the end result would be worth it. He shook his head; it wasn’t the right time to think about it.

The streets had an eerie feeling at that time of the morning. It was to early for anyone to be up. The sun had just risen, the streets were clear. For a change, Los Angeles was at sleep.

Aside from that, he was tense he could feel it. His stomach was churning painfully in anticipation to what he would find. What state would Nate be in? He opened the rusty door of the building and was immediately greeted by a humid smell and a black man who looked around his thirties with short hair and big dark eyes behind a countertop.

He eyed Josh suspiciously, like he wasn’t expecting a guy who looked exactly like Nate to be in a place like this. The nameplate on his shirt read Officer William, the man who had arrested Nate.

“Um, can you help me?” Josh asked hesitantly. His voice was hoarse due to the dryness of his mouth and throat. He didn’t want to be doing this.

“Sure, Mr. what can I do for you?” He asked politely, observing Josh’s appearance warily.

“I came to pay Nate Clark’s bail.” Josh explained to the man who nodded after wiping the questioning look off his face, searching something on the computer. At that moment, the color of William’s face drained away. “So you’re his brother. I should have remembered you from the other night.” William spoke with annoyance behind his voice. “Alright, you will have to fill in this document.” He unwillingly gave Josh a sheet and a pen that he took with shaky hands.