Chapter 15

Caroline woke up in the middle of the night as the baby started kicking into her ribs. She cringed as she quietly and carefully got out of bed so that she wouldn't wake Luke.

She sighed as she looked at her growing belly. It's been quite a few months since the incident with Brett. Caroline was still worried Luke would end up hurt again. Brett had admitted he tried to kill him and had thought he done exactly that.

She's been scared for Luke's life since. The did postpone the wedding until after their son was born. They had found out the gender around the four month period and decided to name him Tatum Christopher as well. She was now eight months pregnant and found it difficult to do anything.

Luke had took time off work for Tate's soon to be birthday as the doctors said he would most likely come early. They were having problems, complications with the pregnancy and had a strong feeling that the baby would be born prematurely.

It was now the middle of August, the baby due in early September. Caroline hadn't told Luke yet, but the doctor figured he would be born about two weeks early. Caroline was worried for her unborn son and prayed he'd be healthy.

She laid on the couch and finally got a good sleep in.

Luke woke up an hour later, it was now three in the morning and he felt a shiver run down his back. Caroline wasn't lying next to him and he wasn't about to call her name. He didn't want to wake the kids.

He slowly got out of bed, pulling a white t-shirt over his head and leaving his bottom half in his red briefs.

When he entered the living room, he could see Caroline sleeping with one hand on her huge bump and the other hanging off the couch.

Luke smiled as he walked over and placed his own hand on her bump. He gently shook her awake.

"Luke? What's wrong, babe?" Caroline asked groggily.

"I can't sleep without you by my side," Luke whispered.

Caroline frowned. "Oh, I'm sorry, honey. I just couldn't get comfortable in the bed with this huge belly in my way."

Luke sighed. "I really can't sleep without you, though."

"I, uh, I'm scared that something might happen to Tate," Caroline confessed.

"What do you mean?" Luke asked as he furrowed his eyebrows.

"I've been having some problems with the pregnancy and was told that Tate might be premature. I don't want you to worry, baby. I really don't, but what if?"

Luke frowned, his heart ached. "Oh, honey. Tate will be okay. He's gonna be born healthy just like his brother and sister were. And I promise you that nothing is going to prove us wrong."

"I hope you're right," she sighed. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before. He's your son too and you have every right to know if he's going to be born healthy or not."

"Hey, baby, you're the one who has to go through all that pain. You don't need to be sorry. Yes, he's my son, but this is also your body."

Caroline hugged Luke tight, not wanting to let go. "You're so understanding, I love you."

"I love you too, now let's get to bad," Luke whispered, helping Caroline to her feet. She was going to be a wife to this wonderful man one day. She couldn't believe he was hers and hers only. She was so lucky to have him.

Luke gently helped her lay into bed. That's when she she screamed in pain and grabbed Luke's shoulder.

He had a look of horror on his face. His mind was racing through all the possibilities.