Chapter 11

Caroline was poking at her coffee. Hazelnut, obviously. Luke had her drinking his coffee. Caroline wanted to drink it, but she just couldn't bring herself to. She knew she was wrong. She blew up for no reason, but yet, she just couldn't say sorry.

A tall guy walked over to her table. He looked familiar. Brett. "Hey, what's up with you?"

Caroline looked at him. "You're not going to try and hit on me, are you?"

"No, I learned from my mistakes. Besides, that Luke seems to be a good guy. I feel horrible about what I did. I'm really sorry," Brett apologize.

"Luke and I are no more," Caroline whispered. "But I still love him. I broke his heart and told him I didn't love anymore. That was a white lie. I love that country boy more than anything else, but yet, I still left him."

Brett sighed. "Maybe you did the right thing," he whispered as he took her on in his. "Maybe y'all just weren't meant to be."

Caroline nodded. "Yeah, that makes sense."

***

Luke laid on the floor, rolling cars back and forth, trying to entertain his son. The fight from before really had him stressed out. Would she ever come back? What about her kids? Or at least Bo. A single tear rolled down his face. She's gone, and she's not coming back. And for what? All because he didn't want another kid until after the wedding?

Slowly, he got up and picked up his son. "Come on, BoBo. Daddy's going to take you to work!" Luke tried to sound cheery, but failed. He didn't want the breakup to get to him, but he just couldn't help it. What kind of mother would leave her fiancé and child?

Quickly, Luke packed up the diaper bag and called to his daughter. He rushed them into the truck, while checking the time. He feared that he would be late to work yet again. He was also in a hurry to get to Carter. He wanted to vent out his feelings and hear Carter's thoughts on the breakup.

Once Luke was in the truck, Kelly's voice echoed, "Where's Mama?"

"Um, she's gone," Luke tried to say without choking up.

"Gone? For how long?" Kelly questioned.

"Forever."

The truck fell silent. Not another word was spoken until they had arrived at the studio. Carter ran over to Luke and motioned for Kerri to take the kids when he noticed something was wrong.

Before Carter could say anything, Luke wrapped his arms around him and cried. Carter, being the good friend that he is, rubbed Luke's back and let him cry.

Finally, he pulled away. "What happened?"

"Caroline dumped me. I guess we were never supposed to be."

"Why? I can't imagine her breaking up with you. She loved you to death."

"I didn't want kids until after we were married," Luke shrugged.

Carter assumed that she was already pregnant, but he didn't tell Luke. He could be wrong and it'll only hurt him more if she is. "Awe, man. I'm sorry, I know how much she means to you."

"She's my world. I don't really understand why she did this. I just got out of the hospital and... God, I love her."

***

Caroline was having fun with Brett. She was beginning to think that he was probably the guy for her, not Luke. But, however, she still found herself thinking about him and wishing she could go home and kiss him for a long time. She missed him. And as much as she wanted Luke to stay out of her thoughts, he was still the father of her child and the love of her life.

Brett had taken her out to the beach later that day. Caroline knew it was wrong, but she was single now. She broke it off. She knew deep down that she was falling for this guy, but she also knew she was still in love with Luke.

Now, she was sitting at her bed, looking through photos of her and Luke on her phone. One image really got to her. The day Bo took his first steps. Tears welled up in her eyes as she saw the gleam in Luke's eyes. He was beyond happy for Bo, and their son's smile stretched wide across his face.

"Come on, Bobo!" Luke cheered his son on as he pat his knees. "Come to Daddy!"

Bo giggled and looked back at Caroline. "Go on, Daddy wants to give you a hug."

Luke gave Caroline a loving smile before turning back to see Bo wobbling over to him. He fell into Luke's arms and laughed. "Dada!" he cheered.

Luke started crying as he kept repeating; "You did it, Bobo! You did it!"

"Oh, Luke," Caroline whispered as she wrapped her son and fiancé in her arms. "Baby, don't cry."

"I can't help it, I'm so happy!" Luke looked at her with glossy eyes. "My son can walk!"

Caroline kissed the side of his head and ruffled Bo's hair. She didn't know what she did to deserve those two amazing boys, but she was glad she did whatever it was.

"I miss you," Caroline whispered as she locked her phone. Luke was her everything. She threw that all away. She loved him, so why was she with Brett now? Hell, why did she break away from him? She may never know, but she's moving on now, and hopefully, so is the only man she ever truly loved.

***

"Thanks, Mama," Luke smiled slightly as he handed his son tohis mother.

"Anything for my baby," LeClaire responded. "I'm sure you'll get through this. What she did was wrong. She should have never left you to raise two little babies on your own."

Luke tried to smile, but instead started to cry. LeClaire pulled her son in close, rubbing his back. "I loved her, Mama. Why did she have to leave? What did I do wrong? Why won't she come back?"

"Remember when your dad left me?" LeClaire questioned her son. Luke nodded, not wanting to say anything. "I was asking myself the same questions. It broke my heart. And to see you and Kelly so upset killed me."

"What do I do? What about Kelly and Bo? They need their mother. I need her. I want to hold her and tell her everything will be okay," Luke cried. "I want her back."

_______________

A/N: Sorry that it took so long to update. The drama will only get worse from here. Hope y'all enjoyed it! ~Kelsea

7 comments to update!