Chapter 8

You don't get use to it, you really don't. When someone's hurting, you do too. And knowing that you were the cause of this, it's make you wish you never existed. So, that was how Caroline felt eight days after the accident. Bo was slowly recovering, but Luke, he wasn't recovering at all. He was getting worse. He hadn't opened his eyes like Bo had. Caroline was afraid she would lose him for good.

She placed her hand on Luke's arm, tears falling softly, landing on Luke's skin. His skin sucked it up, it was the only hydration his body could get.

"I love you, Luke. If anything happens, just know I love you. We all do. I know there will be some things I will have to face before getting over you, but I will always love you. You still are the father of my kids and the love of my life."

Caroline couldn't help but look away. She was watching the life drain out of him and it killed her. She kissed his lips softly, they were still warm. His heart beat was faint. You could still hear the slow and flow of the beeps, indicated that he was still alive.

"What are you thinking about, baby? Who are you with? Can you see Kelly, Chris, and Lee?" Caroline asked as she ran her fingers through his bangs. "Are you telling them about your family? About me?"

A nurse walked into the room, Bo was swaddled up in a Blanket in her arms. She handed him to Caroline and gave her some release forms. "Little Thomas has been doing quite well and is ready to go home. If you could sign those while I check on his daddy, that'd be great."

Caroline nodded as she took Bo and joined LeClaire, who showed up earlier, and Kelly. "Hey, how's my boy doing?" Luke's mother asked.

"Not too good, I'm afraid," Caroline sighed. "I'm scared I'll lose him, LeClaire."

"I am too, darlin'. He's my last child. But, you just got to pray about everything."

Caroline passed Bo to her and smiled faintly. "Heh, yeah." Tears surfaced as Caroline imagined what would happen if he would to go. What would she do?

"I'm so sorry, Ms. Boyer, but he didn't make it."

The thought of someone saying those words killed her. She ran back to Luke's room, LeClaire calling back to her, telling her to come back.

She burst through the room, but instead of running to Luke, she froze. There she was, the woman who took him from her. "You have some nerve!"

"The name is Masi," the girl scoffed. "And I had to come."

"No, you didn't. He's my fiance, not some toy. Leave him alone, let him go in peace!" Caroline shouted, even though admitting he was dying killed her.

Masi glared at Caroline before walking out. Caroline ran to Luke and grabbed his hand, which was now cold. His heart beat slowed. He was really scaring her now.

"No, no, no!" Caroline shouted, tears brimming her eyes. "Don't do this, Luke. Don't go. I love you, baby. Please stay, stay with me. Come on, baby. Please don't leave me. Don't... l-leave me."

She sat there crying, holding on to his cold hand. His breathing began to weaken. This wasn't Luke, he was strong. He was loving. He was gentle. Caroline couldn't to see him so weak and fragile. "Baby, I..." Caroline stopped herself, she didn't know what to say. She was just scared, so scared.

"I'm suppose to marry you, but I guess I won't. I'm sorry for all the yelling and fighting that had led up to this. I was wrong, I know. I'm not your property and you're not mine, but you are my fiance and I'm yours. I love you to the moon and back. Stay strong, cowboy. You're going home now."

Caroline leaned over and kissed him gently. She knew she'd be back tomorrow. She will keep coming back until he sees his brother and sister again. And she would keep telling she loved him as she prepared for a life without him and prepared for the questions from the press.

She reluctantly walked out of the room. Was this it? She would never marry him, never grow old with him. Was this her fault? Could she have prevented this? What happened to their love? Was it dangerous? It used to be so gentle, but now she wasn't sure. Did his heart breaking kill him? And was it broken because of her?

LeClaire stood up as Caroline walked towards her and the kids. She took Bo in her arms, looking at the boy who resemble his father.

"Is he okay?" LeClaire asked her.

Caroline shook her head. "He was so cold. He's barely hanging on, I don't think he's gonna make it. He's actually getting worse."

"Awe, Carol. Don't lose faith," LeClaire whispered, rubbing her back. "I'm going to go see him, I want to see my baby boy."

Caroline nodded. "Okay, LeClaire. I'll watch the kids." Caroline sat down, everything was running through her head. Luke not only was the baby of the family, but also the only surviving child. If he left, his mother and father would go nuts. And that wouldn't be healthy in their old age.

And, his kids would have no father. Kelly would have no parents. Luke had to make it. No matter how impossible it would be that man had to make it. And as much as it killed her to admit it, Caroline knew that the love of life wasn't going to. He was dying and nothing they could do was going to save him.

When Caroline was back in the room with Luke, she started singing softly. "How do I live without you, I want to know. How do I breath without you, if you ever go? How do I ever, ever survive? How do I, how do I, oh how do I live?"

Caroline ran her hand along his face, stopping at his cheek to rub it. Tears were rolling down Caroline's cheeks and drippig onto Luke's forehead. "Oh, baby, I love you so much. Please don't go."

A doctor enter the room and smiled softly. "Visiting hours are over. You can come back tomorrow to see him."

"If he lives," Caroline whispered before kissing his cheek and leaving the room.

The doctor checked Luke's vital and everything before sighing. "I hope you make, that woman loves you and so do your fans. I can't imagine how anyone could live if you left. But I'm sure they'll survive."

The doctor pat Luke's arm a couple times before leaving the room. Who will would be able to help his wife cope, she was breaking and that tore him apart.

______________________________

A/N: Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Luke's getting worse, uh, oh. I thought LeAnn Rimes' song would go perfectly with this chapter. Let me know any predictions and yay! Bo survived! Thanks, guys! ~Kelsea

7 comments to update!