Chapter 4

"So? You lied then?" Brett questioned her, crossing his arms.

Caroline started digging around in her purse. "No, I really am engaged, my ring is with him right now," she said as she grabbed her phone. "I'm gonna call him."

"You mean your gonna ask someone to pose as your fiance," Brett scoffed. "I'm not stupid, Caroline. I can know a lie when I hear it."

Caroline rolled her eyes and dialed up Luke's number. He answered quickly. "What is it? I thought we ended it."

The tone in Luke's voice clearly told her that he didn't want to hear anybody's shit. But the thing was that she wanted to apologize. "Baby, I'm sorry. I should've let you explain and I will, but right now I have a problem."

"Oh, more lies," Luke scowled. She could imagine him rolling his eyes. She knew she broke Luke's heart and she felt incredibly bad about it.

"Lies?! Luke, listen, I feel horrible. I feel so wrong and I- Baby, I do love you, I could never stop. I got some guy hitting on me, he doesn't believe I'm engage. Please, Luke, just listen," Caroline begged.

Brett snatched her phone. "Oh, so you must of broke up, huh? That's too bad."

Caroline tapped her foot against the ground. "Okay, look," she started. "I may of fought with him, and it got out hand. But, I still love him and he's still my fiance. So, if you could so kindly hand my phone back to me, I'll be on my way."

"On one condition," Brett offered.

"What is it?" Caroline questioned with skepticism. She wasn't sure what he'd say.

"You stay away from that man. Never look back, don't even think about him. Come with me."

Caroline was taken aback. There was no way she could leave Luke, even if she wanted to. She was heartbroken after the fight. What made him think she would leave Luke anyways? "You know I can't do that," Caroline looked down. "I meant it when I said I love him, and I feel nothing but guilt after that fight. You can't make me fall out of love with someone. I've been with him for over a year now. Hell, I even had his baby. There's no way I'm leaving him, so you can forget it."

Brett rolled his eyes. He tossed her phone back to her and turned to face the exit, a grin formed on his face. "You'll wish that you've never said that."

"What an idiot," Caroline mumbled as she rolled her eyes. She brought the phone back up to her ear. "Baby, you still there?"

"You mean that?" Luke asked, a sad tone to his voice.

Caroline felt bad, she wanted to runaway and never come back. "I'm sorry, I-"

"That you still love me?" Luke asked hopefully.

"Of course, I still love you! How can I not? Baby, Luke, you're the one I want to be with. Not some idiot from the city that likes to hit on girls. I'm sorry. I love you, and I shouldn't have said any of that. I shouldn't have assumed that you cheated. I should've let you explain. I still love you, I always have and always will."

Luke picked at the corner of his jacket. "Can I come back home? I miss you and the kids already."

"Luke..."

A deep sigh came out of his mouth. He looked down, tears were starting to form. "I just really miss you guys, but I understand if you don't want me to come home. I should stay somewhere else."

"Where are you?" Caroline questioned him.

"I'm at a bar called Hope On The Rocks. But I rather be at home," Luke told her.