Chapter 12

Caroline was laughing as she cuddled into Brett. She had completely forgotten about her and Luke ever being a couple. She had even forgotten about their little family. Now it was just her and Brett.

"The stars are gorgeous," she whispered into Brett's ear.

"But you're just as gorgeous," he responded, pecking her lips. It had been a crazy month, with the breakup and the new boyfriend. Caroline was just glad that she found someone to make her happier than she's ever been.

She felt a sharp cramp and tensed up. Brett gave her a worried glance, but she shook it off. As much as she loved Brett, she didn't want to worry him. Leah on the other hand, she would worry her about the new pain she's been feeling.

"So, how do you like the date?"

"It's beautiful, baby. I love how we can just sit out here, under all the stars. I told you these types of dates, where you relize you're just a little fragment in space, are way more fun than those fancy restaurants."

"Your ex use to do this?" Brett questioned, a little skeptical.

"Well, yeah," Caroline sighed. She still loved Luke. She didn't know what was happening to them. She tried to fight the tears as she continued. "He was a country boy. He was a famous country singer, so it was surprising that he liked these types of dates more. I honestly don't understand how I let such a wonderful man leave."

"You have me now, Carol," Brett whispered as he cuddled into her. Caroline knew it wasn't the same. Luke loved her way more than Brett ever will. She kept quiet about it, she kept her little secret, but she couldn't keep it anymore. Leah has to know, she needs to know.

***

"Carter, it's been one month! One fucking month and she hasn't come to see her son! What am I supposed to do?!"

"First, you need to calm down, Luke," Carter said, trying to relax his friend. "Deep breaths, Luke."

Luke knew his friend was right. Slowly, he began to breath in and out, trying to calm down. As he did so, tears began to prick his eyes. "I can't do this. I can't, Carter."

"Yes, you can," Carter tried to soothe, tears threatening to fall from his own eyes. "I don't like seeing you hurt."

"I don't want it to hurt anymore. I really don't, but I love her. I love our son. I just, I've lost someone I loved before and I don't want to again. I'm scared."

Carter gave Luke a sympathetic hug. "I know it's gonna be hard, but there are other girls out there."

Luke shook his head and wiped his tears. He couldn't possibly be with another girl. He was Caroline's and hers alone. As much as he didn't want her to still have his heart, she did. "No. I will never find another person as great as Caroline was. She forever has my heart."

***

Caroline was in the kitchen, making some breakfast, when Brett clumsily walked down the stairs. He threw himself in his chair and flipped on the TV, watching Football.

She sighed to herself as she thought about Luke. He would go out of his way to spend time with her and cuddle her. He would've wrapped his arms around her waist like always. They'd share a coffee before the kids came down the stairs. A single year crept down her face.

"I'm sorry. I want you back," she whispered. "I still love you."

Caroline knew right then that she had to tell Brett. She turned off the stove and walked over to Brett.

"I have something to confess," she breathed. "I'm pregnant."

Brett shot up from his chair and turned to face her. "Excuse me?!"

"I'm having a baby, Brett!"

"And I suppose this child's not mine. Actually, we never slept together, so I know this child's not mine. So, who did you cheat on me with?"

Caroline furrowed her eyebrows. "I didn't cheat on you! I was fucking pregnant before we even started dating!"

"Well, why didn't you tell me?!" Brett shouted, grabbing Caroline's wrist. She flinched. Had she known Brett was an abuser, she would have never dated him. "Who's child is it?!"

Caroline had tears in her eyes. "I don't have to tell you!"

Brett started to twist her arm. She yelped in pain. "Who is the father?"

"The baby's Luke's. Now leave me alone!" Caroline shouted.

"You dated me even though you knew you were pregnant with your ex's child?! That's a new kind of low!" Brett yelled at her before releasing his grip. "Go back to that lover boy. I don't fucking care. And when he throws you out, just remember that I won't be there for you to run to."

"He would never throw me out!" Caroline shouted. She wiped her tears before pulling herself up. Now she had to tell Luke the truth. The reason why what he said hurt her.

***

Luke was playing with his son when he heard knock at the door. "Kelly,  an you get that?"

"Yeah, Daddy!" she said excitedly before opening up the door. "Mama!?"

Luke herded his head towards the door to see Caroline. He left his son alone to greet her. Tears were in his eyes as he hugged her. "Caroline...?"

"I'm so sorry. I love you, Luke. I'm really sorry," she rambled, holding on to him.

"I missed you, baby. I feel horrible about what happen. Had we not fight-"

She quickly kissed Luke, desperately wanting to feel his lips on hers. "Still a good kisser," she chuckled.

"I love you, baby."

"I love you too, Luke. And there's something I need to tell you," she smiled softly before taking his hand and leading him outside. They sat on the porch swing. Luke let Caroline lay her head on his chest while they softly swung.

"First, is the wedding back on?" Luke questioned.

"Of course it is. Honestly, it should have never gotten cancelled."

"Well, then I guess you'll need this back," Luke chuckled before slipping the engagement ring back on her finger.

"Luke, about our fight. I'm sorry for the way I reacted. I was hurt and I know I shouldn't of been, but..." Caroline lift her shirt to reveal a small bump. Luke looked at it then looked back at her. Tears were in his eyes.

"You're pregnant?! Oh, baby. You should've just said that. I know what I said, but I'm really happy for us. I guess I was just scared. But, baby, I'm gonna be a dad again!"

"You don't how relieved I am too hear that."

"Well, I'm just glad everything's back to the way it should. You, me, and the kids," Luke whispered, laying his hand on Caroline's bump.

__________________

A/N: I'm sorry this took soooo long to update. I had writer's block. But now I've got an idea as to where this is going. Also, I don't know if I mentioned this before, but I have a new story called I Never Like You Anyway. Check it out! ~Kelsea

7 comments to update!