Chapter 3

Luke was sitting on a bar stool at a place called Hope On The Rocks, a little bar filled with people who were currently going through rough times. The bartender, Toby, walked over to Luke with a smile on his face. "Hey, I've never seen you around before."

"This place seems so, so depressing," Luke described.

"It's a sad place. See that guy over there playing pinball? His name's Brady. He used to be a baseball star, but he lost his job, so he ain't got much going on for him right now," Toby explained. "And over there, at that table is Sissy, her little boy died a while back while they went on vacation."

Luke looked in her direction and gave her a comforting smile. "That's horrible, I can't even imagine what that would be like."

"That's not all, at that other table is Mary and she was in so much pain in her life, that she actually tried to commit suicide. She's lucky to be alive. And Charlie, the old man sitting in the corner over there, his wife filed for divorce and now all he does and ride his quarter horse," Toby continued with the stories. "A woman named Sue lost her mobile home and now, we haven't seen her since. Who knows where she's at. And lastly, Larry's long-time fiancee was kicked out of the PTA and ended up moving her kids back east with a different man."

Luke looked down, Caroline's engagement ring in his hand. A single teardrop fell onto the small diamond. Toby gripped his shoulder, trying to comfort him. "I guess we all have something in common," Luke said in a hushed voice, closing his eyes tightly.

Toby gave Luke a gentle smile. "Tell me about it, what happened between y'all? What's going on in your life? I'm here in this bar for everybody, I'm their friend. I'll listen."

"My life is chaotic. When I was nineteen, my brother died, and then when I was about thirty-two or so, my sister died. Seven years later, her husband died. Then, about just over a year ago, May, my wife, died giving birth to my daughter. Now I have a son with my fiancée, or ex-fiancée."

Toby was silent for a moment. Never had he heard such a story like this. He wanted to help Luke get through, but he could tell by the look in his eyes that the only way he could get through it, would be for his fiancée to take him back.

"Time will heal wounds, but sometimes, people who just listen can heal them too," Toby acknowledged.

"What the hell does that mean?" Luke quizzed the bartender.

"Think of it as a prophecy. When someone listens, the person who decieved you will realize what they did wrong."

Luke rolled his eyes. "Yeah, okay. Can I have a beer?"

Toby started to pour his beer into a beer mug. "Listen, try and hear me out. I think that if you let her know how you feel, she'll realize what she did wrong. Maybe you'll get her back."

"I doubt that. I'm long gone according to her. Once I'm back out on the road, poof, she's gone forever and so am I."

"Out on the road?" Toby asked curiously.

Luke chuckled and rolled his eyes. "I'm Luke Bryan, the country singer? I travel cross-country and sing to sold-out concerts day in and day out. It's kind of hectic sometimes."

"Oh, that's why you look so familiar," a new voice sounded behind him. Luke turned to meet his dark blue eyes. "Hi, I'm Brady," the man said, sticking out his hand.

Luke smiled as he took his hand and shook it. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Brady. I'm Luke, as you already know," Luke chuckled lightly.

"I couldn't help but hear your story, and I'm so sorry that those things had to happen to you," Brady told him. "I never had a family or someone to love like that before. So, that's news to me. It's crazy how fast your love ones leave, ain't? How fast they come and go? Birth, death, birth, death. It's like an endless cycle. Dog, kid, brother, cat, dad, grandma, mom, wife. They all eventually leave just as fast as they came."

Luke nodded in agreement. "I never thought of it that way."

"I mean, it's like when you spend your money. You got a paycheque, so you decide to treat yourself. But then, after that, all the money's gone and you have to work extra shifts in those next two weeks to get it back."

"All right, Brady," Toby sighed. "That's enough. We don't want Luke upset more than he already is."

Brady gave both Toby and Luke a curt nod before leaving, going back to his pinball game. Luke seemed to like this place the more he stayed in it. Hope On The Rocks. What a fitting title for such a bar. The title must attract people looking for hope, which is why there are so many depressing stories connected to the regulars. And Toby, who is the bartender, muct be like their saving grace. To help them get through all their hardships.

Luke thought that if he came here more often, maybe he could get by. At least until he either got back with Caroline or got over her. But nothing would ever be able to stop his pain and suffering if he never got to see his kids again.

Caroline stepped through the big double doors at this fancy place. Everyone was dressed in formal wear, giving Caroline the feeling that this was a black tie affair. She didn't feel like she belonged there. Not with her Under Amour, Luke's Under Amour, sweater and yoga pants.

She quickly went to turn around when she fell on top of somebody. Caroline scrambled to get up. "Sorry, sorry, sorry," she said in a rushed tone.

"Oh?" a man's voice questioned.

"Sorry, I was just leaving," Caroline said in a hushed tone as she pointed towards the door.

"Never have I seen such a beautiful woman," the man smiled. "I'm Brett."

"And I'm engaged," Caroline snapped, holding her hand in front of his face. She was secretly hoping her and Luke were just stuck on a bump in what should be a smooth ride through life. She still loved him, and she knew he loved her, whether she was riht about him cheating or not.

"Well, then why are you here?" Brett questioned her.

"Excuse me?" Caroline asked, confusion evident in her voice.

Brett rolled his eyes. "This is a speed dating event."

Caroline clenched her fists together. Of course she would just stroll into such a place after fighting with her fiancé. "Well, shit."

"Wait, if you're actually engaged, then where's your ring?"

Caroline glanced at her left hand. She was definitely regretting giving back that ring now. "Fuck," she cussed.

____________________________

A/N: Ooooh, Caroline got herself stuck in quite the situation, didn't she? What do you think will happen at this speed dating event? What about Luke's new home he found? The bar, I mean. What will happen next? ~Kelsea

Inspiration for this chapter is from Toby Keith's song Hope On The Rocks.

5 comments to update!