Chapter 8 : Soulless

The giant speaker we prepared was now ready to be used. And Edward was just in time. As soon as Alphonse held it so everyone in the town would hear, the priest's voice came out of the bell and said:

-The faithful are only tools I'll use to dominate Amestris!!! I don't care about them!! All that Leto cult is just a mask so I can grant my ambitions!!

He was even more rotten inside than what he showed... That sounded totally ridiculous... And yet, I could notice shock in Rose's eyes. I didn't know what happened between her and the brothers, but something told me that wasn't all cute and nice. I bet they warned her and she didn't listen to them. That was this kind of girls. However, mixed with the crowd, I saw the face of the one who guided me in the town, the one I sent back because I couldn't bear his explanations of "miracles". Josh. He was as shocked as the others when the priest revealed his real intentions, and somehow, I pitied him. He was only a poor faithful betrayed by his Father, but... Didn't I feel the same when I saw I was "betrayed" by the Truth who didn't give me Katy back? It was all the same. The same pain, the same disappointment, the same frustration. I sighed slightly when the recording stopped, and looked at Alphonse.

-Nicely done, I commented smiling.

-Oh it wasn't much. At least people will be able to live correctly from now on.

He seemed so happy, cheerful... And yet I didn't believe that. Something told me this was the beginning of a rebellion.... When a human has no reason to live anymore, he panics. And his reaction can be extreme. He will get terribly angry, will break everything he can, will create a real revolution.... I could already imagine the people of Liore gathered in front of the church and shouting for the priest to explain. Yeah.... How did I know that? Well my brother was a military, and when I had nothing to do, when I was old enough to know how to read, I used to consult his files, the political and military cases, everything he had to work on. And there were often rebellions after something turned unexpectedly bad...

Suddenly, there was a loud bang coming from downward. Cornello and Edward were fighting!! I was wondering if we had to help the Fullmetal Alchemist when we heard a horrible scream. It was none other than Edward....

-No way!!! The stone!! It's a fake!!!!

I could see both horror and surprise on Alphonse's helmet, while I myself felt quite frustrated. How come??? A fake??? We did all of that for nothing??? I had to be dreaming... I really had to be dreaming!!! I harshly punched a wall with my automail, causing a loud metal noise echoing in the whole place. Alphonse looked at me, surprised, as Rose turned her head slowly toward me. I frowned at her. Now she would know the truth, did it matter?

-What? I asked her ruder than I wanted.

She only shook her head and looked away. Great. I hated explaining that. Alphonse stared at me a while and I started to wonder if he did want me to tell it. All I had on my heart. All I held, even if I admitted the whole thing in front of Edward... But I answered negatively. I didn't want. This girl had nothing to do with it!

-Karen... You both are girls.... Maybe can you show her how to-

-I can't show her anything for I didn't even go through my own hardships!! I replied curtly.

From this moment, Alphonse stopped reminding me about that matter until we walked passed the girl. I didn't even stop. I wasn't like Edward who gently told her she had two useable legs so she could go on. No. I was not nice. I was someone despicable, someone no one would like to be friend with. And yet....

-Hey, do you feel bad? Edward suddenly enquired.

I jumped in surprise. I wasn't expecting any word form the brothers at this very time.... Not in front of the railway and waiting for the train at least.

-Not especially.... I shrugged.

I was doing my best to act evasive, not particularly precise in my answers and not cooperative at all. Edward may have noticed it because he quite rudely grabbed my collar and brought me toward him, harshly. I dropped my suitcase on the dock as the train ran behind us because of the sudden shock.

-Look Mustang 2, we are not friends, but we are, for now, partners. And my partner is not allowed to hide things to us or act bad with the others!

I held his glare. He seemed satisfied I wasn't so much taller than him, but didn't show it that much. He looked rather, deeply, annoyed. I knew my behavior wasn't ideal since I invaded their trip and napped at their newly made friend, but he didn't have the right to do this. I gave him the same look.

-You know, it's not because you're the only girl you can behave this way, he added before letting me go, now come on.

I picked my suitcase up, without answering him. Morosely, I sighed and followed them in the train. Reluctantly, I sat down in front of us, at the window's side, and laid my head on the glass, without a word. I didn't know I was capable of such mutism. My brother often mentioned the fact I talked too much. I held my coat tight around my body, maybe scared someone would take it away from me. I started wondering. What was I even doing here? This wasn't my quest, I didn't necessarily wished to get my body back. I didn't wish anything in fact. One day, Riza Hawkeye asked me if I had any purpose, any desire, any hope, anything in fact. I answered her I needed nothing and didn't want more than my actual possessions. She didn't reply, but I could read in her eyes she thought I had no soul. Maybe was it the case.

-I'm neither strong nor nice, I'm nothing in fact.... I muttered before closing my eyes.

//hiii! I know I posted the last chapter a week ago, but as I couldn't update Welcome in the Real World, I post a new one now to keep a regular rhythm with my two stories!! ^^ see ya in two weeks now!!