The door opened and slammed slightly harder this time, there was more aggression and violence. Forcing the women to quickly slam the bowls onto the table spilling them a little. Her shaky hands caused to almost drop her own as she shouted for her son to come eat.

"H-how did it go?" She would regret asking,

He didn't answer for a few seconds, instead he prioritised sitting at the front of the table and taking the first bite of his food.

"It's fucking gone, I can't get it back," he slammed his fist on the table, this time she did not correct him on his language as his son entered the room. "For fucks sake," his word were slurred.

Akio hesitated to sit down at the table. Despite the fact, that his father had cherished him, loved him, cared for him and trained him; he felt a dark and dangerous aura surrounding him. His mothers shaking hands did not help.

"Training, I hope?" He continued to slur, his mouth full of food.

"Yes," Akio had learned to say this whether he had or hadn't,

'"Liar," it wasn't a threatening hiss, more of a hazy mumble.

"You're drunk,"

"Akio!" His mother warned him with a frightened glare, "there's no need to be rude to your father!"

'"He's going to lose his respect for me," he spoke as if it was the most important thing ever, "my own son will hate me."

He had already lost his respect, it had nothing to do with how his father was no longer a guild master, it was the bruise on the side of his mother's face that had caused it.

"No, I'm sure he won't," she tried to reassure her husband by placing a hand on his husbands shoulder, which he shook off violently, "we'll just have to bounce back another way!"

"How!" He shouted, he looked like he'd cry frustratedly and drunkly. Dangerously.

His mother jumped back frightened. Akio didn't know what to do. He could of run away, but he didn't want to abandon his mother who looked more scared than he was. It was strange because he had only hit Akio once, he could say things to his father so that he would calm down. But no matter what his mother said, he would hit her anyway.

And idea had come to his father's head a few weeks later. An idea that had been followed by arguing, hitting, and a lot of crying from his mother. An idea that had eventually ended with his mother disappearing. Not completely, but she was almost not there. Whenever Akio did see her, she was distant, lost, sad. She wasn't the same. And finally the idea had ended up with something his Dad had hated, and caused his mother go insane.

Screaming reached Akio's ears for the second time that night, he woke up panicked and worried. A child's scared and nervous sobs were filling his bedroom and only his. Everyone else choose to pretend the baby girl did not exist.

"Oh no! Akira!" He hopped out of bed and scampered over to the cot.

She barely calmed down as Akio leaned over the cot to look at her, he was too nervous to pick her up or barely touch her. However even in the pitch black he could see that she had his mother's eyes, not as bright as Akio's but still a soothing sea blue. It calmed him.

Getting on his tip toes he reached one arm into the cot and nervously tapped her hand.

"Ssh, Akira, it's okay I'm here don't cry!" He was worried, the little girl barely responded to his presence.

"It's okay, it's okay,' he repeated for booth himself and his little sister, "I'm here, your big brothers here,"

She began to quiet down a little, causing a relieved and happy smile to spread across the nine years old face.

"Please don't cry," he was still worried, using the back of his finger to stroke the tiny hand below him. She responded.

She wrapped her hand tightly around her older brothers finger, it was almost painful for Akio her grip was too tight. But he didn't want her to let go, he was glad she was no longer crying and was even more pleased he'd managed to stop her.

The darker eyes did nothing but stare at the boy above her; intrigued, confused, and reassured. Other than this she barely made any expression.

"I'm here," he repeated as if she could actually understand him.

It wasn't going to be hard for the child, it was going to be difficult for his little sister. Even if they didn't share the same two parents, Akio wanted to protect her. He wanted to make sure she was always going to be safe.

"Your big brother's here, I'm not going anywhere..."

---------------

A little bit of filler back story for you. There will be more of these for the other characters. There is an actual update soon, I'm just going to prioritise another story first since I haven't updated it for two months 😂