Taylor set down a tray of food and thrust a pink teddy bear into my grasp. “Amber! Thank goodness, you’re okay. We were all so worried about you!”

            Jesse lumbered forward with more than a dozen ‘Get Well Soon!’ balloons. “We went out and got you all these balloons . . . well, really, I did but I’m not one to take all the credit . . .”

            Taylor smacked him on the back of his head, hard. “Be quiet, idiot! Now is not the time to be full of yourself.”

            “How are you feeling, Amber?” Alex asked.

            “They wrapped your head?” Will commented.

            I was surprised. “What?”

            Taylor took out a compact mirror and handled it to me. “See for yourself.”

            Sure enough, there was white gauze wrapped tightly around my head. I hadn’t even realized.

            “They had to. The wound opened back up again,” Mama said in a small voice.

            I turned sharply, too afraid to say anything. But Gustavo voiced my fears aloud for me.

            “You mean the wound from that incident?” he asked in a low voice.

“What are you guys talking about?” Alex said.

Taylor looked to me. “Amber . . .”

No, I refuse to acknowledge anything from the past. Not again. Instead, I pasted a cheerful smile to my face and tried to reassure everyone. “Nothing important. I’m starving you guys. What goodies did you bring me?”

Soon after, everyone seemed to forget the whole issue and began passing out plates of gooey pasta. I took a bite and squealed in delight. “This is so good. Did you guys make this?”

“Actually, Damien’s mom did all this,” Taylor said.

“What? Really?” I said in astonishment.

Taylor nodded. “When Damien called me with the news, I called Suzy who then called Damien’s mom, and she made sure you didn’t have to eat ‘that nasty hospital food.’

I was speechless. I had never even met the woman and yet she put in all this effort to make sure I had something to eat. Luckily, my mother had the sense to say something for me.

“That’s so thoughtful of her. Please tell her thank you.” Suddenly, my mother stood up. “Amber, I’m so sorry but I have to work and he needs me to take care of some other things he can’t attend to. The doctors want you to stay for the night but I promise when we finish up, we’ll be back, I promise.”

I nodded my understanding. “No, of course, I understand. Tell Papa that too.”

She gave me a sad smile and kissed me on my forehead before quickly leaving the room.

“Hey, you guys. Is Damien here?” The words flew out of my mouth before I could stop them. For a minute, no one said anything.

“He was here, but he needed to take care of something. But don’t worry, he’ll be back,” Alex said.

_____________________________________________________________________________

            Later that night, I lay awake in bed. Everyone had gone home, promising to come back tomorrow. My doctors informed me that I would have to stay a couple more days for tests. Before he left, Alex said in a low voice, “Don’t worry. He’ll come around.”

            It will be midnight soon. Damien isn’t coming. I’m having trouble falling asleep. But I’m still waiting, hoping he might come.

            The room is eerily silent and empty and the walls are white and bare. It’s nothing like the violent walls of my room at home. The sheets are ‘thin and cold; nothing like my favorite blanket at home. There’s a draft coming in from the window that’s open a crack but feels like it’s spread its wings and embraced the chilly wind.

Just then, there’s a creaky noise that comes from the door. I sit up straight, ready and alert. The light from the hallway sneaks in a shadow creeps from behind the door. A head peaks out from the door, and upon seeing me awake, invites them self in.

            “You’re awake,” It’s Damien.

            I’m so shocked; all I can do is nod. Then I remember he can’t exactly see me and muster a small “yeah” in response.

            He drags a metal chair over to my bedside and sits down. “How are you feeling?”

            “Okay, I guess.”

            “They bandaged your head?”

            “Yeah.”

            It’s quiet now. I can’t imagine what must be going through Damien’s head. He must think I’m some kind of freak now. There are so many things I want to ask him but I’m too afraid to muster any courage. But just as I’m about to muster an ounce on anything, he wraps his arms around me, hugging me tight. I gasp as he buries his face in my neck. “Damien—”

            I can feel his warm breath on my bare skin as he speaks, giving me goose bumps. “Amber . . . I was so scared.”

            I’m frozen to the core, unable to speak. I can feel him shaking; his voice is unsteady and wavering.

            “I don’t know what I would have done if I had lost you . . .” And that’s when I realize he’s sobbing. Damien Beliena is actually crying. I’m so shocked that at first I don’t do anything. Then I can feel myself slowly begin to wrap my arms around his neck before burying my face in his dark hair, enjoying the soft touch. “I’m sorry, too . . .”

________________________________________________________________________

Damien stayed with me the rest of the night I repeatedly insisted that he go home and get a proper rest and in return he repeatedly shot me down gently, saying he would stay with me till morning. “I feel like if I leave you for only a second, you’ll disappear.” He laced his fingers with mine. “I’m not leaving.”

I could feel a smile blossom on my lips and laughed a little.

He looked taken aback. “What?”

I was still smiling. “You’re holding my hand.”

He smiled back and chuckled, tightening his hold. “I know.”

“So what does it mean?” the drugs should have worn off some time ago so why am I acting like this?

Damien looked confused. “What does ‘what’ mean?”

I didn’t answer him. “There’s this warm feeling in my chest,” I said instead. “I don’t know what it is.”

Damien’s eyes were bright in the dark as he took out joined hands and brought them to his heart. “Feel that?”

I could feel his heartbeat. It was beating rapidly against his chest. I looked up at him. “My heart is ready to burst out of my chest . . . because of you.” Then he brought my hand to his lips and closed his eyes. “You have this effect on me,” he whispered gently.

Hello my little cupcakes how are you all? It’s been quite some time since I last updated and I apologize for the delay and broken promises *sob* but I am back now. This has been Chapter 9 of A Time to Love. I appreciate everyone’s comments especially those from the RRG club (awesome club you should totally join it). All the feedback I have been getting is very helpful in opening my eyes to different scenarios I can take and I pretty much guarantee going back and editing, especially Chapter 3 where pretty much everyone said the same thing. Thanks so much for never-ending support!! VOTE COMMENT FOLLOW you know the drill ~>_<~ bye-bye!! <3