Chapter 46 Stand

The morning came with rain.

Rain that pelted with small pieces of ice. As if it wasn't horrible already, a wind came to the party.

Oliver stood over my protectively as we all took the long walk for the closest Alicross city, Serphine.

I held Oliver's shirt close to my chest and tried not to show signs of weakness. Bataeus proudly walked without any flinching or care for the weather. He was strong and powerful, just like Gunther.

I gasped as began to sneeze. Tears filled my eyes, but I quickly wiped them away.

A pull in my heart almost caused me to sob. I stopped it though.

Gunther and Rayne, I hope you too can forgive me. I let you both die.

Bataeus glanced at me, but looked back at the path ahead of us.

"Once we are in the city, we have to stock up on materials and food," Oliver brought up. "We can't stay out like this."

"Agreed." Rionar huffed watching his breath create a cloud. "I need more energy in order to create any fire." He rubbed his temples and growled as an ice drop hit his wrist.

Mark glanced back at me and then Oliver, "our priority is to Miss Erilye. Right now she needs clothes. Town can give us just that."

I smiled at Mark and he grinned back and returned to the path ahead.

I trembled before the mighty beast. Once again I met face to face with the long snouted creature with the thick tail.

Mark bowed again in front of the farmer and motioned for everyone else to do it. I followed, but Mark immediately stopped me.

"As you can see dear farmer, even our slave is thankful."

The farmer scoffed and spat at my feet.

I looked down at my feet and then back at the farmer with dark eyes.

"Our nation thanks you," Oliver rushed while pushing me forward towards the beast. "Get on," he hissed to me.

"On?"

I gasped as his sudden strength lifted my fully onto the back of the narrow creature. The beast shook its head and scratched the dirt.

Oliver quickly hopped on afterwards and took the reins, "honestly, it's as if you've never seen a horse before."

Oh. A horse. That's what these things are. I've only heard of them before.

"And then? Come on! You can't think of anything better than that?"

Mark kept in his frustration. It came out in the facial expression he hid though. "This world will do much more harm to you than all of us combined- princess! It is not safe for a little lady to be out at night." His t's came with his anger peering.

I angrily turned to Oliver, but he said nothing. I glared at the swine around and then back to Mark. "I am starving, you know that? You expect me to sleep near pig crap?"

Mark clenched his fists. "I will stand guard first." After that, he rushed out of the barn and slammed the door shut.

I looked down at a pig that trailed towards me. I glared at it and then kicked its side roughly. "Why!"

"Erilye," Oliver growled raising up from his pile of hay, "calm down."

"No!" I sharply snapped. "This is crucial! I won't stay here! I-there isn't much time."

Oliver took my wrists and guided me down to the pile of hay. "Go to sleep Lye. Tomorrow will be the day we move to Rodorican territory."

"I think we should stay."

All of us turned to the mostly silent Bataeus.

He stood up from the ground and nodded. "Some fallen ones from the fight could have survived-hidden among the dead. My family..."

The small barn went dead with silence. No one said anything.

"Dance on the stones."

A dim green light illuminated the darkness and a path of risen stones stuck out of the water. The water ran as if coming from a thin stream, peaceful and delicate.

"Run through the grass."

Beyond the stones rose sky high grass. Each stem with a special art engraved on it. With its rise also gave with a sweet smell of sugar water.

"Have the sun shine."

A bright yellow sun rained down harsh golden light. It lit the tops of the circle grass.

"Set. Alex. Go."

Instantly, all went black. The shrill and screaming of death filled the air and the smell of ash filled the air.

My eyes opened suddenly and I rushed out of Oliver's arms and through the doors of the barn into the dim moonlight.

The howl of distant wolves rang along with the howling wind.

My breaths were deep as I was in a fierce sweat.

"You're hard to find." Alex sighed and embraced me into a tight pull. "And what did I say about getting into my mind?"