Chapter 32 Accidental Thief

Everyone was staring.

I kept my eyes on the ground as I limped past them. Lucky for me I could actually walk.

My surroundings have been so complicated and strange to where I don't know what's real.

I, at this second, stood on the southern edge of a grand market place. With two stalls facing the other about twenty feet apart, a wall laid at their backs. There were only four walls though. Scattered around the main area were literally hundreds other stalls

To them I must have been weird. To the native folk, I was of lighter skin, but only barely. I was skinnier than the skinniest girl there, it was if I hadn't eaten in centuries. Then there was the issue of my eye color. My eyes had a shiny golden appeal against the natural glowing amber color. My hair was much longer than any others' as well. It traveled past my waist and curled into a spiral of art.

I had to be weird to all the others.

Everyone else was dressed in poorer clothing while only the snotty few wore expensive clothes. I looked like I was among the rich.

While I was lighter in skin, everyone else had a better darker skin tone. Theirs looked healthy and mine felt weird. Every time I touched my skin it stung like being bitten.

"Would the pretty lady like something fine for the pretty lady?"

I turned my head to my right and eyed a large man dressed in mid expensive clothes. I looked from his face to the boxes he had laid in front of him. Rings and necklaces.

"No thank you," I mumbled turning away.

"Maybe you're not a lady. I have weapons."

I turned back to him. I really wanted to laugh. A weapon? I never even s...

The man gave a wide grin and pulled out a chest into view and opened it. Behind the safety of his stand, I saw knives and swords and a small set of daggers.

I sighed and looked back the rings. "I don't have that much sir."

The man looked over his shoulder at a small boy who sat quietly. "Catch."

I barely had enough to catch what was suddenly thrown at me by reflex. A sword handed in my hand and four rings were thrown into my arms. I looked over the items quickly and gasped-

"THEIF! THIEF! GUARDS!"

I turned around and spotted two well dressed men running towards me. I glared at the man at the stand next to me and ran.

No matter how many times I turned and hid, more kept coming.

Then I took one more turn and I was cornered. A long line of guards stood in my way with swords and daggers.

I stood in the middle of two lines of angry guards all alone with only one sword.

Something told me the men here wouldn't listen to my truth. Maybe it was no one, but I couldn't help but hear my name being called in the distance.

I looked around and only saw a closing circle of soldiers. Something first tempted me to call Alex, but them a name grew on my lips. "Coyote!"

The once blazing sun above instantly grew grey and no light lit the world for a few moments. A few women screamed and even they were joined with in men. I, however, felt calm through it and looked up to see a man sitting on top of one of the scatter stall tops.

The man nodded and he looked at the group of soldiers separating us. He shook his head flicked his hand to the left as if slapping everything off of a table.

Just the same, four soldiers flew to the left in utter terror and this gave chance for me to run.

I looked down at my arms as I ran. I could have dropped the jewelry thrown at me, but I didn't. Talk about being a human, I was now feeling human emotions...greed was not at all a bad thing.