Chapter 6 Gunther

I quickly raced along the back fence of the backyard. I kept my eyes on the small house hidden in the back of the house. If there was one person I didn't want to see right now, it would be him. Even if I needed to.

I stopped as a low growl sounded from behind a tree in front of me. I deeply wished I could dash through the fence now, but as Samantha said...I might be a little over the small limit.

"Oh," a dark voice chuckled underneath its growl. "A black cat. I heard your kind was unlucky. I guess the only way to get rid of you would be to tear your innards out...may be lucky then."

I tensed up and backed into the high grass that divided the front from the backyard. I needed help, and he was the closest consideration.

"Please," I purred trying to stay calm. "I need your help."

The light from the side of the house was dim, but bright enough for me to see the face of my advancer.

No dog could be bigger than him. He stood at half the height as a human. His short fur only made his devil eyes easier to see. Just from his frame alone, you could tell he was a breed bred for wolf hunting.

"Help?" the demon mimiced. "Help call from a tiny she-cat? A deathwish!"

The dog glared down at me with his dark black eyes. He lunged at me and put me into a corner. I was now lost to what ever lifes I had left. The fence gates was closed and the fence face was too little for me to fit through.

"Please, I wouldn't come to you Gunther unless I needed something important!"

Gunther snarled and trapped my small paw under his massive one. "Do you not remember what happened the last time I helped you?" He looked at the gate and backed away. "I will help you little kitty. You have three seconds to leave before I kill you this time."

"Gunther!" I rushed towards him and then dashed out through the gate. I leapt on top of the high gate so it was clear we were eye to eye. "Gunther, there is a small girl I want you to see! She is weak and alone and...she's running from something or someone."

Gunther did not change. "Why should I care about this made up girl?"

"Because she's different Gunther! I need your help!" I was getting agrivated at Gunther's disbelief."She came to me! I no idea of how to take care of a girl."

Gunther turned around and dissapeared behined the tall grass. A few moment's later the jingle of his chain leash sounded and then a vicious snap occured.

Gunther came back with wild dark eyes. He approached me and glared down at me, face to face. "I don't believe your story for one second kitty. I gave you your time, three seconds are over." Everything was still. "Run."

"Gunther!" I cried out running directly into a sitting trashcan. "Gunther!" I recovered and turned the corner into a parking lot.

The heavy footsteps of dog and the absent voice of him told me he was not going to be convinced.

"Gunther! Stop!"

I quickly ran past the dead cars and into the awaiting department store. I yowled trying to sound the alarm to the employees that were opening.

I screamed as I climbed up the fruit stand and started to wildly dash across. "Help me you stupid statues!"

Gunther followed my every step, but faster.

I circled around the store and threw down everything next to me. There was milk all over the ground and it was mixed with orange, grape, and apple juice.

I ran as fast as I could through the pet food isle, but certain scents wanted me to stop.

The sound of footseps behined me stopped and so did I. The store was full of screaming women and shouts of men.

I looked back and then forward. The sespense would kill me. I crawled under the shelves and listened carefully for footsteps. My tail swifted unsteadily and I couldn't help but hide my eyes.

I looked up as a voice in my head said to do and then back. My tail stopped swishing as a large shadow covered the back of me. I hit my head on the bottom shelf and tried to rushed forward.

Sharp teeth pierced my tail and I cried out louder then ever.

Gunther pulled me out from under the shelf and droped my tail to catch hald of my back right leg in his mouth.

He ran out of the store and past the awaiting employees in the parking lot. He stuck to the side of the building and ran off into the back of the houses in the neighborhood near here.

I fought in his grasp, but the more I fought, the harder he bit into my leg. After a while I lost feeling in the leg and my eyes began to close. I felt dizzy and light headed. "Gunther," I whispered under my breath.

The dog stopped and forcibly threw me into a hard stone wall.

I layed at the base of it unable to move. All I could do was look at Gunther's terribly menacing face.

"You never learn do you cat?"

"Gunther," I barely whispered. "I have my name now. Now it's Erin."

Gunther set himself into position. "Good bye...Erin."

Everything went dark. All I saw was black and it was hanging. The sky went away and I was cold all of a sudden.

Everything was silent after someone somewhere said one word. "No."

I closed my eyes and then pushed myself up only to fall back down. I knew the voice, btu what was she doing all the way over here? I told her to-.

"I won't let you hurt her Gunther!"

Gunther stared at the girl pushing him away. He looked at her ragged clothes and dirty face. He backed away and looked at me...I think.

The girl that was holding him back picked me up and held me close to her. "Is this the one you were talking about?" she asked me clearly.

I nodded and fully shut my eyes. "Gunther, meet Rayne."

I watched Gunther carefully. As I once said, believe those with serious eyes. He stared at Rayne as she answered every question he asked. He was just as amazed as I was.

Rayne stood up and left the room to get a cup of rain water that I had stored up.

"Amazed aren't you?"

Gunther growled. "What do you recon she's running from?"

"A who," I whispered still sore.

Gunther yawned. "Yes well, if you want my help, which you need, it's going to cost you."

"Cost? What? This is volunteer work."

Gunther shook his head. "No, it'll cost you something."

I yowled and hissed. "No. Consider it a loan."

"A loan?"

"Yes, you pay me and later I willl pay you back for your efforts."

"Gold and silver," he said quickly.

"Gold and silver," I nodded. "I swear I owe you a lot for this one Gunth."

"Gunther," he growled, but he straightened as Rayne came back in the rom.

She sat back down on her chair and faced both of our grazes. "What? What were you talking about?"

"Nothing," I quickly snapped facing back to my small corner falling asleep again