Chapter 37 Checkmate

"I refuse," Coyote slyly cooed.

Coyote's vibrant green eyes teemed with laughter. He had not had even the slightest urge to take back my wish.

"Coyote!" I snarled flicking my tail back and forth.

Coyote's pure white teeth explained only his extreme happiness. "Have you given up?"

"What do you mean?"

Coyote's hovering feet touched the ground. "Once you give up, cat, you die. You could not fulfil your end of the bargain. Just like a teacher you begged to help you, but you end up sleeping in that class. So, do you?"

"Yes," I whispered lowering my head.

Coyote went silent. "I'm not unfair."

I watched an ant stroll by underneath me.

"I sent you here, I put you on track, and I helped you!"

I looked up at his suddenly rising voice. "I know."

Coyote sighed and spread his arms out. Around him a dark brown light grew. It covered his arms and went down to his feet.

In a few seconds, the Coyote I knew was gone. He was no longer his death pale, but a rich bright tan. His clothes changed into an exact expectation of a Native American's.

I stared at him.

"Yet you still give up," he frowned. "What is bringing you down?"

"Hm?"

"Death awaits those who give up in big situations."

I looked at my paws. "This is my decision-."

"Not it isn't," Coyote growled. "You want your wish! Get it." Coyote flicked his hand up his hand and turned around.

Once again I felt my body grow again. I changed back into a human and once again I wore the thin dress of silk.

"Who has persuaded you into giving up? Who?"

"Alex."

"How many people must tell you not to trust Alex!"

I sighed. "What do I have to do?"

"Wait. Someone will be scouting here." Coyote eyed me up and down. "Meet the full moon when it comes."

I nodded and stood up. "How long do I have to wait?"

Coyote walked forward and disappeared into the forest I left. "As long as you have the will to," his voice whispered through the foliage.