Chapter 10: Night threat

Start from the beginning

"How bad?" Ron asked and placed his palm on Harry's back.

"My mum..."

Ron sighed.

"You know it's not your fault, right?" He reassured.

Harry nodded.

"And that you couldn't have saved them?" Ron continued.

Harry nodded again.

"And that you saved everybody?" Ron adds.

One more nod.

"And that the world with Voldemort in charge would've been bloody awful?" Ron nearly shivered at the thought of that loon reining over their world, perhaps even the muggle world as well.

Harry knew all that. They had this, so-called, "conversation" every night. And none of those statements changed. Harry believed that Ron was right, but he couldn't help but wonder if he could have saved more people.

"Harry?" Ron said, snapping Harry out of his thoughts. Harry's eyes locked with Ron's.

"You know that we care, right?" Ron reassured once more.

Harry nodded and sighed. "I know Ron. But I just can't do this anymore..."

"But you're doing great!" Ron said.

"I try not to think about it during the day, but the more I try to forget about it, the nightmare gets worse," Harry said, on the brink of tears. Harry just broke. Ron didn't know what to say. He hugged his sobbing friend and whispered into his ear.

"You'll get through it. I know you will. You were in far worse situations and you've always won. So you'll win this time too." Ron said, honesty dripping from every syllable. Harry sniffed.

"But I was never alone. You were always with me..." Harry said, still shaking.

"You're not alone! You still have us!" Ron said. Harry just laid his head on Ron's shoulder and tried to stop crying.

"Come on," Ron said, pulling Harry up. "Let's go back into the room. It's warmer there and you have to admit, the nights are getting bloody cold."

They went to the dorm and sat on their beds, facing each other. Harry was looking at his bare feet and Ron was looking at Harry. After a while, Ron murmured "Kreacher." and soon the elf appeared.

"Yes, Mister Weasley?" Kreacher grumbled.

"Sorry to wake you, but could you bring Harry a cup of warm milk?" Ron asked the elf. The old elf nodded and with a quiet pop disappeared. Ron got up and sat next to Harry. He hugged him around the shoulder and smiled at him.

"I'll be alright. I know it will. It always is." He said, comforting his friend. Kreacher came back with a plain white mug filled with warm milk. Harry thanked and smiled at the elf and then turned back to Ron.

"You should go to sleep. I'll be fine..." Harry said quietly. Ron laid in his own bed and watched as Harry drank the milk and laid down as well. They looked at each other with so much understanding. No words were needed. They went through so much together that it felt like that day on platform 9 3/4 happened in some past life, not just a few years ago.

"We should go to Madam Pomfrey to get you some potion to get rid of that nightmare. You haven't slept well for awhile..." Ron suggested.

Harry laughed a little.

"Neither have you." Harry countered. Ron laughed too and then so did Harry, after a second.

"Yeah, we should go..." He said once they caught their breaths. Ron nodded and laid on his back.

"Well, good night then."

"I think it's more like 'good morning'," Harry replied. They both chuckled one last time before relaxing and falling into the deep web of sleep.

.o0o.  

"You think it will work?" Harry asked suspiciously looking at a small bottle made out of dark glass. A small paper was on the front.

Potion for Dreamless sleep

"You?" Ron asked in return. Harry shrugged.

"Dunno. But it can't hurt, can it?" Harry said, feigning positivity.

"I guess not," Ron said looking at little bottle disappearing into Harry's pocket. That night Harry and Ron were sitting on their beds, ready to go to sleep when Harry opened the potion flask. Harry furrowed his eyebrows and closed his eyes. He quickly swallowed the thin liquid. He laid down, his sheets and comforter tucking him in, and said a quick, "Good night." , to Ron and went to sleep. He'd really hoped this would work.

It didn't...