The Vamp's Girl 26

Start from the beginning

“It’s quite simple. There are various ways to play this game, but the basics are quite simple. Today we shall be playing the most basic game; to put it simply...hit the target as hard as you can.” She said with a smile and I raised my eyebrow at her.

“Hit the target as hard as you can?” I repeated to clarify if I had heard correctly... she only nodded.

“You’ll see when it’s your turn. But remember to concerntrate and just hit it as hard as you can.” She gave me a smile before she walked off to talk to the other Ledetts and I was left there to contemplate her words.

“Com on, at least know what you’re doing...” I froze when I heard Xavious’ voice in my ear and I felt myself turn to stone when his arm wrapped gently around my waist.

“What do you think you’re doing?” I growled at him and he chuckled pulling me closer.

“Come now, it’s a game. So get your head in it; do you think you can do this? Everyone is watching.” He whispered letting go, letting my eyes fall on everyone who had gathered to watch the Ledetts and myself play. I swallowed hard as I felt my feet glue to the ground; a sudden boom broke me from my thoughts and I turned my head back to the game. Lauriel stood there, gritting her teeth as the arrow was at least three inches into the target. I raised my eyebrow.

Oh...boy. This is some game.

Everyone clapped and cheered as if it was a great feat and I stood there thinking about it. It was an ordinary target. It looked exactly like archery. It looked so ordinary. Just playing a game of normal, ordinary archery...

“Lady April!” I clicked back to reality, Lauriel had been calling me. She looked angry at me. “Is your mind still present? Please, it’s your turn.” It took a moment for her words to register and I nodded slowly and walked over to the feather basket. I slowly picked up a multi coloured feather that was as tough as a regular arrow. I frowned as I walked over to the firing ledge.

This was simple. It’s just like archery. It can’t be that hard.

“It’s not too late to pull out.” I heard Lauriel say quietly behind me, I ignored her as I loaded the feather into the holster. I pulled the string back and aimed carefully for the target, I waited for the quiet of the wind to stop before I focussed. The target. Aim for the target. With all my might I let go of the arrow...

With great speed it flew towards the target but half way it fell into the ground without any effort. I stared at it, before the stiffled sounds of laughter arose. What the heck just happened? I had used all my might and aimed for the target and it didn’t even reach it? HOW WAS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE? I bet it was rigged. For sure!!! I blinked a few times as I stared at the feather in the ground. Surely...I’m dreaming I could have imagined it in my head it fell to the ground. I climbed off the ledge and stood away from everyone. I couldn’t figure it out...

“Summer, I don’t understand. I did everything you said, why didn’t it work?” I asked as I approached Summer, she smiled innocently at me.

“Did you use all your might? All your energy? Target is a hard game to master. Your head must be in the game.” She said before walking past me towards the feather basket.

“Oh dear me. That was terrible, surely that had to be a joke of course?” Xavious said coming over to the tree I stood under. I clenched my fists and resisted the urge to punch him in the face.

“I did everything right. I don’t get why it wasn’t working.” I muttered watching as the other Ledetts hit the targets with a large bang.

“You should get your head in the game.” He chuckled wiping a strand of hair out of my face and I looked up at him.