Chapter Twenty Two ~ Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Noah

My first day of community service was today and the ironic thing was that I was helping to clean up any graffiti that had been done anywhere, including my own, to make space for the new mural I had to paint. As well as myself cleaning up graffiti, I was told that other 'delinquents' near me would be picking up litter around the town.

Looking at the clock I saw that it was 8 a.m. I tensed my jaw realising that I had to be heading out if I wanted to make it in time for strip searches at our first destination. Not that getting groped by different police officers wasn't my favourite activity but if I didn't want to land myself back in court then I had to put up with it. I grabbed my keys which were in a glass bowl at the front of the door. I felt my phone buzz as I headed to the car; to avoid all contact from anyone besides before I went back to school, I personalised all ringtones and buzzes so I knew who the calls would be from. By the buzz in my pocket, I knew it was Tyler. Opening my car door and started the engine before I pulled out my phone from my pocket. 

Tyler: Dude, I'm freaking out. Call me.

I plugged my phone into the car, pressed dial and started the car to make my way. "What took you so long I texted you two minutes ago."

"Chill. I had to plug my phone in, I'm driving."

"Where you going?" He asked.

"Community service. I start today, remember?" I scoffed.

"Oh yeah..." He paused to take in what I had said. 

"What did you call for again?" I pointed out.

"Right. Dude. I'm freaking out, I'm supposed to take Isla on our first date today but I don't know what to do. I don't know where to take her or want her to be bored cause I get so nervous around her because you know she has those boobs. Which is not why I'm with her! But you know they're nice and I don't want it to be awkward but that's kind of har-" He waffled.

"What is it that you called about again?" I interrupted.

"Come with us. On the date, with Sienna. I'm begging you."

"Sure, if Sienna agrees." I uttered.

"Why wouldn't she agree?" Tyler enquired.

"Never know, she's been distant lately." I shrugged to myself as my car pulled into the first community service destination. There was a long pause on the phone call, but with Tyler's dodgy phone it was probably his service. "Listen, I gotta go. I'll see you at 3, alright?"

"Interesting... See you at 4." I disconnected the phone then turned off the engine and made my way into the centre where one of my painting's was graffitied on the wall.

"You're just in time." A stout police officer shouted in my direction, "Sign in, in the front office," He pointed towards the building with pastel yellow walls. "They'll strip search you and you'll go through the metal detectors. After that they'll give you your jumpsuit and you'll line up with your friends over there." He pointed towards the other guys and girls lined up by one of the walls.

I nodded in reply then took deep breaths as I walked in into the office.

*~*~*

After 4 hours of long scrubbing, it was finally twelve. And the long first half of community service was over; we were allowed to go on lunch breaks but not off site so we had to get bland chicken sandwiches from the vending machine inside. There wasn't a sandwich choice for the vegetarians so they just had to wait for the whole thing to be over which disgusted me so I offered to give them money to buy them lunch after this.