Chapter Thirteen ~ He Should've Mufasa'd

"Did you really get awrested?" Ava asked through missing teeth. We'd sat in the kitchen after I came back from the beach, Layla had been babysitting Ava for the day while dad was at work and mom was with Noah.

"For the fourteenth time," I held both her arms, "Yes. I did."

"Why?" She tilted her head.

"I already told you." I grumbled.

"Were you naughty?"

"Mom!" I cried out.

"Okay Ava." She picked her up from her seat. "Time for bed."

"Why do I have to go bed? Willow's the naughty one." She crossed her arms then leaned her head on my moms chest.

"No, actually. You're the naughty one." She raised an eyebrow at her, "Layla told me about all Skittles you've had to eat today."

Ava's mouth opened wide, "You pwomised!" She pointed at Layla who stuck out her tongue in reply; when they cleared the room, the only people left were me and Layla. She was on her phone, as usual, so the room was filled with silence for a while. I went to the fridge to grab some ice tea and make a sandwich.

"Hey, Willow?" She cleared her throat, her voice was filled with nervousness. I looked up at her indicating 'yeah?' "Will you take me shopping tomorrow? After you're done with volunteering?"

I squinted my eyes at her in intrigue, "why?"

She rolled her eyes and went 'pfft', "Can't I just want to spend time with my big sister?"

"No." I raised my eyebrow smirking.

She rolled her eyes again and placed her phone down, she muttered under her breath. "I have a date."

"What?"

She cleared her throat, sounding louder than before but still quiet. "I have a date."

"I can't hear you bubba." I teased.

"I have a date!" She shouted out.

"What?" I spluttered.

"WHAT?!" A voice shouted from upstairs, rapid footsteps followed jogging down the stairs. My mom slid into the kitchen, nearly falling over, making me snicker. "Did you say a date?"

"Yeah." She shrugged it off, walking over the fridge to pour some juice into a glass. "It's not that big of a deal."

"Not that big of a deal?" Both me and my mom questioned.

"Layla its your first date!" My mom cried out.

"Erm, no it isn't." This time me and Layla said the same thing.

"Excuse me?" Her voice went deep and she furrowed her brow. "Who else has there been?"

"I went out with Billy Cavanaugh in eight grade remember?" Mom paused for a minute, squinting her eyes, "For like a year mom." Layla stared at her.

"Wait. Was he that really cute kid that use to follow you around like a lost puppy and come to the house after school and eat all the Oreo's?"

"Yeah." Layla deadpanned.

"Oh! Yeah, he's gross now..." Mom winced, we both blinked at her with a blank expression. Layla turned to face me.

"Will you take me or not?" She half pleaded half huffed.

I gave her a side smirk, "I'd love to."

*~*~*~*

"Bye sweetie." Dad said as he kissed my cheek then walked off to the tropical disease department. I headed towards the receptionist's desk to find out where all the volunteers would be stationed today, I was lucky enough that I'd missed Wednesday because that would've meant spending the whole day emptying out bedpans.