Chapter Three ~ Chagas Disease.

"Shh! Hurry it's already started." My mom violently whispered, squinting she continued "can you see him anywhere?"

"Yeah mommy, he's up there at the front!" Ava shouted pointing at the front of the hall.

"Shh!" She hissed, "okay everyone, follow me, we'll go through the side, near then curtains and then make our way up okay? Whatever you do don't draw any attention to yourself; the head of the department is speaking." I followed behind Ava and Layla tracing their footsteps; we were nearly half-way across the hall when my shoe lace untied, yay.

I crouched down to tie it up, "go ahead, I'll catch up." I whispered to Ava who responded with a nod. I heard a familiar voice speaking now so I glanced up to find out the voice was my father giving his speech about tropical diseases in South America.

I beamed seeing the excitement in his eyes then looked back down continuing to tie my lace up into a bow. I promptly got up and started walking across the side of the room fixing my gaze on my dad smiling as he talked passionately about finding a cure for Chagas' disease, yeah if I were you I wouldn't search that up.

"Without further ado, I'd like to introduce you all to my loving family-" I glanced at my mother and sisters standing up, quickening my pace to join my family.

And then it hit me.

Literally.

Unaware of the surroundings around me, I stumbled over the waiter walking towards me's foot, who happened to conveniently be holding a stack of plates, yay.

We collided into each other causing the plates to shatter, making sounds louder than foghorns when they connected to the floor. I attempted to grab onto the curtains to prevent from falling but that backfired as they ripped from their rods and I ended up slipping over them as well and landed on my butt. Mortified I could feel my cheeks turning blood red. I lifted myself up and mouthed to the waiter 'I'm so sorry' as if me not making a sound would balance out the noise I made just now.

I could feel everyone's eyes fixed onto me, especially the waiter whose cheeks were now as red as mine; I looked over his shoulder to the table to see my family's reaction.

Layla and Ava had their mouths covered snickering but my mother's eyes were just as wide as mine, I could tell she was holding back her laughter covering it up with a 'shocked' look; she ran across the hall, her high heels click clacking and linked arms with mine to walk me to our table, I smiled weakly at her.

My dad chuckled into the microphone then cleared his throat to continue, "Like I was saying, I'd like to introduce you all to my family, especially my oldest daughter Willow who always did love to make a grand entrance." he said chuckling once again causing everyone in the room to snicker and mutter amongst themselves, along with my mother who started cackling.

I waved with a weak smile, still blushing, to everyone in the room "Thank you all for listening," The crowd erupted in applause as he stepped down from the stage to walk to our table, "hi sweetie." he said grinning then coming in for a hug.

"Hi Daddy." both me and my sisters said as he continued to hug each of us. When he got to mom he stopped, held her hand, and made her twirl. She was wearing a long sleeved berry coloured peplum dress which highlighted her curves, her curls were brushed out and she accented her smoky eye with winged eyeliner. She looked good and she knew it.

"You look stunning Piper." He said leaning in to give her a kiss.

"I know," see. She said with a big grin on her face "thank you baby." I glanced at Ava to see her reaction and giggled when I saw her wrinkling her nose, I looked across at Layla who was smiling at her phone once again.

*~*~*~*

It had been thirty minutes since dad had made his speech and I was starving, every time my stomach growled Ava would poke it, which only made it growl louder; all I had, had to eat and drink today was a milkshake and a cinnamon sugar soft pretzel.

We had to wait for every important person in the department to finish their 10 minute speech and there were three more speakers left, the agony, I was rubbing my head in boredom when I heard a voice.

"Is this seat taken?" We all glanced at her, it was clear we were all thanking her on the inside from saving us from having to hear about diseases in monkeys.

"No, please sit," my dad smiled warmly at her getting up to hug her, she was familiar but I couldn't place where I had seen her from. "Avery, this is my wife Piper and my  daughters Willow, Layla and Ava." We all smiled politely at her.

"Nice to meet you all; your father talks about you all the time." She smiled warmly causing her teal coloured eyes to twinkle, she was pretty. Really pretty. Her brown hair with caramel lowlights was put into large curls and she wore a white pencil dress which hugged her in all the right places.

"Nice to meet you too." my mom smiled back at her, reaching her hand out for Avery to shake it, which she did.

"Avery is a new doctor in the department; well I say new but she transferred from Hero Hospital five months ago." my dad informed us.

"Yay! Finally another woman my age to talk to!" My mom said clapping her hands gleefully. "All the women here are either so old or act like they've got a broom stuck up their-"

"Piper." My dad said raising his eyebrow making me and Avery chuckle.

"Tell me about it; it's nice to have a conversation with someone who doesn't talk like they're from nineteenth century England." She said grinning in response to my eager mother.

"Are you married? Any kids?" My mom said prying.

"Piper." My dad said once again raising his eyebrow making my mom pout.

Avery chuckled, "it's alright Sean," she turned her head to face her "yes, I am married but my husbands in California right now on a business trip." 

"Lovely." She said grinning.

"And yes, I have a son. I think he's probably Willow's age; he's actually parking the car right now so you can meet him," I glanced up suddenly intrigued in their conversation "and I also have a five year old daughter, she's at home with her grandma."

"We simply must go out to dinner sometime." My mom said wiggling her eyebrows. "Oh, hey! Willow's helping out at the hospital starting Monday, maybe your son could join her." My eyes widened as soon as she said that but she simply shrugged off my look and winked at me. I groaned quietly and rested my head on the table.

"You know what, that is a terrific idea!" Avery beamed.

I felt the table shake and heard a chair scrape indicating that another person had joined us at the table. The smooth deep voice questioned "what is?" I glanced up to look at the figure across the table, and you'd never guess who it was.

Actually, yes you could.

*~*~*~*

Authors Note: thank you so much for reading, I hope this chapter didn't sound too formal /: xo
• Next few chapters will be much more exciting, definitely.

The picture at the top is who plays Piper - Melissa Joan Hart.

Don't forget to vote and comment, thank you lovelies ;) xo

- Busayo❤️xo