Idiot - Sulu

You rummage through your box of tools as you fiddled with a control panel on the wall. You place the tool you were using in your mouth then moved to reach for another tool but proceeded to shock yourself on a breaker outlet. You jump back and drop your tools, shaking your hand as you cringed with pain.

You didn't really have a job on the Enterprise but that meant more time to mess with a room you were given permission to mess around with for your latest idea; creating a working Holodeck. You studied Charles 'Trip' Tucker's experience with a Holodeck while helping an alien species (from the first crew of the first Enterprise) and you were hooked.

You joined the crew as a mechanical officer but you got injured in an accident that left you with a terrible limp and Captain Kirk told you to take a while off until you were fully healed. You looked down at your throbbing hand cursed under your breath. You were about to get back to your work when your communicator went off.

"(L/n) here."

"Hey honey, how goes the room?"

You smiled at your boyfriend's voice coming from the other end. "It's going slowly. I have shocked myself more times than I care to admit." You laugh nervously.

Hikaru chuckled. "Be careful, I don't want to have to try to convince the good Doctor that I'm not beating you, again."

You laugh loudly at the memory, taking a few moments to recover as the both of you laughed. "Yeah, ok fine. Though it was pretty priceless to see his face when you brought me in that first time. I thought he was going to punch you right then and there."

Hikaru's laugh turned hesitant before he became serious. "I saw my life flash before my eyes." You giggled at that. "Oh hey, I just wanted to let you know that I had to take an extra shift tonight so I won't be able to have dinner tonight. But we can do tomorrow. Promise."

You rolled your eyes but smiled. "Maybe I should shock myself a few more times before I go see McCoy."

"Ha, ha, ha, very funny. But really, I wouldn't miss dinner unless it were urgent."

You shook your head though he couldn't see it. "Don't worry about it babe. I have skipped out before, just be sure to get some sleep."

"Thanks for understanding. I'll make it up to you. Marry me maybe?"

You rolled your eyes and shook your head now out of annoyance. You have been dating for a while and the conversation of marriage has come up more than once. But as you have told him time and time again, you aren't the marrying type. Well, at least not for now. You wanted to focus on the mission and doing well on the ship, not a family, not yet.

But Sulu made it a running joke, though now it was a nerve, to ask you to marry him every now and then. You would say no and he would laugh it off but you have started to notice that his laugh lacked the usual joke to it. You shook your head again to clear your thoughts. You just don't feel ready for it yet.

"If you came to dinner when we usually planned it I would have considered it."

You laugh to yourself when you hear him cuss on the other end. "Fine. I'll talk to when I'm done with my extra shift. Love you."

"You better. Love you too."

You put away your communicator and shook your head again. You truly do love him, you are just not ready for marriage.

Or at least that's what you keep telling yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours after talking to you, Sulu made the appropriate arrangements before he made sure you were in your quarters. Sulu met Mr. Scott outside your halo-room, the Scotsman's arms full of various tools and computer chips.