Lullaby- McCoy (part two)

Clara held up her toy pirate ship and made sounds of canons firing as she moved it around in the air. You had a ghost of a smile on your face as you watched her with glassy eyes. Your husband just left for his first normal shift in a while and it felt amazing waking up with him next to you then having the three of you all sitting at the table for breakfast, together. Well, four of you.

You placed your hand on your oversized belly and rubbed it absentmindedly. Leonard had stopped checking on the little one so he could train the second doctor and other nurses on board in hopes of them being able to take over while he was home with you and the newborn. When they come. So, naturally, you asked to not know the gender in hopes of it being a surprise. Leonard agreed as well though he had a strong feeling it was going to be a boy.

Leonard ran a hand through his hair as he looked at the young man sitting on a bio bed, cradling a broken arm. The off-duty nurses stood around in a circle, ready to witness primitive practices of setting a broken bone. But it wasn't from choice. The second doctor on board had misplaced the new shipment of medical supplies in one of the many storage rooms, hence his reason for being absent.

But right now, Dr. McCoy appreciated the sudden change in practice and used it as a distraction from the worry about the supplies missing that will be needed in your delivery that you should have had by now.

"Now, the trick to this is that you have one chance to do it right. If it is set wrong even our equipment can't fix it." He looked at the young man almost apologetically before grasping his hand and upper arm. "It will hurt worse than jamming your toe on a corner but it will feel better faster."

Quickly and without much warning to anyone he pulled the boy's arm and he let out a yelp of pain but sure enough his eyes widened as the pain quickly lessened to an annoying dull ache. A nurse came over and wrapped it with some stay boards and put it in a sling. Then, with what supplies that were not misplaced, McCoy relieved what pain he could for the boy then turned to the nurses to make sure they understood.

At the rate things were going that morning, Leonard had a feeling it was going to be a long next few days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You picked up a small blanket and placed it as best as your belly could allow over your daughter as she passed out on the ground, her hands grasping old Tinker Bell and Peter Pan figurines. You smiled as Clara sighed contently, her dark locks splayed around wildly. You wished to kiss her forehead but didn't want to risk not being able to get back up again.

You made yourself busy by cleaning up around the apartment room while your little pirate slept soundly, making small lists of things you needed your better half to do. You were in the middle of making lunch when you felt little hands wrap around your leg. Glancing down you smiled at the sweet tired eyes that blinked up at you.

"Mommy? Is your belly going to pop?" She yawned and poked your said belly.

You let out a laugh, patting the counter next to you for her to sit on. Eagerly taking the opportunity to climb things, she sat down, swinging her legs as she watched you cook. You leaned over and kissed her forehead this time and she giggled.

"I feel like I will pop but not until the baby is ready."

Clara reached over and took a chocolate chip from the bag as you placed some in the pancake batter. "Daddy is worried."

Your hands stilled at her quite words. "I know sweaty but he's a doctor so he needs to worry."

"Will it hurt?"

"Maybe."

"Am I going to have a brother or sister?"

"Don't know yet." You angled your swollen stomach to your daughter and nodded to her. "Go ahead and tell them to hurry up. You want to meet them."