Chapter 27

Confused. That's what I was. Nothing was making sense. Though mom and dad had told me their version of what happened in the past few days still I could grasp nothing. There was a huge void in the story.

All they knew was that I went missing fifteen days ago with Ian. Yeah, Ian. That again didn't make sense.

We were supposedly on the run because some people were after us. What people? Why? These questions were still not answered. The cops didn't have answers but weirdly FBI agents were around and also they were the one who was involved in this case. That was bugging me a lot. They knew but wouldn't give a straight answer. Apparently, this information couldn't be let out. Even to me who had the first-hand experience with what happened.

So the only option I had was to wait till my memory comes back. According to the doctors, it looked like my brain had temporarily shut down on those days' memories. They were still not sure whether it was because of the multiple concussions I suffered or because of the shock.

No matter how much I tried I couldn't remember anything. It was as if a fog had settled on my memory. I would get a glimpse or two but every time I would focus on them the fog would thicken again.

The only other person who knew was Ian. And he was still unconscious. Well, to be precise he was comatose. I had visited him twice since I woke up. And that would be twice in five days. It was hard enough to escape my ward what with my two parents keeping an eagle eye on me but both of the times I went down there to his ward I wasn't allowed to enter.

There would always be two agents working in shifts with expressionless faces standing in front of his room. The second time I had almost got a reaction from one. It lasted about half a second and vanished.

But today I had to enter. I was being discharged today. And before leaving for Nashville - we were admitted to a hospital in Maine, Portland. Another big surprise there – I wanted to see Ian. Not through the tiny window in the door but really see him. There was something at the back of my mind telling me that I should be with him. Like a nagging voice, constantly, it was there. Asking me to stand in front of his room until the guards would allow me inside.

Why?

Again no clue.

All I knew was that I had to see him before leaving.

So here I was having a staring showdown with Mr. Stiff-face. With my arms crossed over my chest and pressed lips, I tried giving my best-scrutinizing stare to him. Try being the key word here. Since it had no effect on him.

Accepting my voiceless defeat, I sighed heavily. "All I'm asking is for five minutes." Seeing whatsoever no reaction I bargained again.

"Fine. Two minutes. Just two minutes. I'll go inside. See him and come out. No staying. That's all."

No response.

"You know what. You can accompany me inside."

The wide win-all smile I gave to him shrunk into a puckered one as there was no effect on the 6 feet something breathing mountain. Again. I wondered if I hit him with a chair would that earn a reaction out of him. Don't know but surely seeing him I guess he would probably either throw me out of the window or make a quick contact with his fellow FBI people over the small ear piece and have me arrested.

But no way was I leaving without seeing Ian. Mustering all my courage I pushed up my sleeves.

"Listen! You big Oaf! I have to see him and I will..."

"Chasity?"

Hearing my name called, I turned around to come face to face with a man. He didn't look old. Most probably in his twenties. It was hard to guess whether it was the early or late twenties. Though he had a good physique he had a baby face.