Chapter 2

Run Chas!... Run!!

You can do it!

Just a few metres more.

Almost there!

Geez! Why the frappe is the hallway always crowded?

"Excuse me!" "Excuse me!"

"Side please!!"

Dodging here. Ducking down. Dodging left.

"Sag somewhere else, you dimwittle!" Squeeze and slide.

"Freak!!"

"Yo mama is freak!" I yelled back at the guy who I peeled off from a girl.

No time for chit-chatting Chas. Run...Run!

I speed-brake right in front of my class. Leaning on the door frame I tried catching my breath after the marathon I just had. I definitely need to do some exercise. "Excuse..." Breathe. "me..." Breathe. "Professor...." Breathe. "May... I... come... in?"

Prof. Geller pulled his glassed down and looked straight at me with his beady eyes. Checking his watch, he said, "You are late."

And you are quite observant, my dear professor, was what I wanted to say. But saying that would not have helped me get in the classroom. So, I put on my good studious student demure and straightened up. "I got stuck in the traffic, Sir."

Giving away nothing from his expression, he bored his eyes into me further. "That's what you said last time, Ms Taylor." Last time? No. I swear I said something else. I mean lied.

"Oh, no. Last time, I do remember I said my cat died." Changing my expression to hopelessly upset, I swiped a finger under my glasses. "My poor little Olly." Poor little imaginary Olly.

I knew Prof. Gellar had a soft spot for cats. He actually has six cats in his home. Sadly, for him, he has only six cats in his home. I found out his softness from a reliable but secret source and it came handy from time to time. Like last time and right now.

"Oh, how I miss him. My sweet Olly!!" I removed my glasses and dabbed my eyes with the sleeves of my shirt and added the special effects of sniffling. Prof. Gellar was already buying it. I know, I'm a great actress. The whole class was snickering silently watching the scene unfold in front of them. They knew I was messing with the Prof. You may think that I'm really bad and what I'm doing is wrong but let Prof. Gellar take few of your classes and then you'll understand. First he will make you feel pity for yourself by asking questions that you have no freaking clue, make you want to kill yourself for ever opting for his subject and then he will bury you under a huge heap of assignments and won't even give a eulogy when you are dead.

I heard Prof. Gellar clearing his throat and looked up after putting my glasses back. "Dear, your Olly is in a good place. Don't feel bad about it." Prof. Gellar was looking somewhere in the distance, maybe thinking of one of his own dead cats. Poor him. He cleared his throat again. "You should take a seat, Ms Taylor. I'm about to explain the Lami's Theorem."

I fist pumped mentally and gave him a small smile with a nod hiding the joy of victory bubbling inside me. Lily and Keith were already in their seats at the back of the class, so I took a seat next to them.

"That was one hell of a drama you put up. He bought it right away as usual," Keith whispered to me while chuckling.

I mischievously smiled and winked back. Hearing interrupting cough from the front, I sniffled again continuing my act and looked back at professor with a sad face. He nodded with understanding and then continued with the lecture. Such a gullible person he is.