Chapter 7

"I knew his world moved too fast and burned too bright.

But I just thought, how can the devil be pulling you toward someone who looks so much like an angel when he smiles at you? "

- I Knew You Were Trouble

******

I was torn between getting out of the sheets to confront him and pretending to be asleep so as to eavesdrop the conversation. The latter looked like a better option if the failure rate of me trying to get any kind of information out of him was accounted in.

The phone call didn't last for more than two minutes and the only information I got was that Ian knew those two men and that Ian was not what I thought he was. Him being a secret agent crossed my mind a plenty of times while I was wide awake on the bed after listening to the call, secretly. Ian, after cutting the call slumped back on his bed and went into deep slumber straight off. Or maybe he was pretending too.

There were a lot of possibilities here. Him working in some underground illegal organization. Him being a prince of some country which looked ridiculous. Because come on, him a prince? That can happen only in some crappy romantic novel or movie. Him as a secret government agent or an undercover cop also popped up which again didn't seem likely and Ian's physique can very well vouch for that. I was grinding my brain gears thinking about those two armed men, our running, him acting almost cool being shot at and the phone call. No matter how differently I tried to interpret the conversation with varying perspective angels I couldn't arrive at any conclusion. It was like the whole matter was a huge fudging mystery.

I don't know when I fell asleep but when I woke up the next morning, or to say almost noon, I found the adjacent bed empty with no trace of Ian in the room or in the bathroom. There was a note on the bedside table which was in between our beds.

I'm going out. Will be back around 4. Order whatever you want to eat. Don't open the door to anyone other than the food service or me.

My heartbeats shot up reading the last line. Sigh. Guess from now onwards I have to be careful. It was only yesterday that I was standing in front of the fluid mechanics class weighing my options to either skip the class or not. And now I'm worried about my life running and hiding from a danger I'm not even familiar with.

Plopping down on the bed, I stared at the ceiling and the water damped spots on it. They need to install some damp-proofing system or else the whole ceiling will rot in no time and fall. I was actually missing my classes and even Prof Gellar. I was missing Lily and Keith. I was missing mom and dad. Hell, I was even missing mom's new hubby, Elliot, and dad's fiancé, Sarah. Seeing my utter hatred towards those two, it's saying a lot.

My phone was in my apartment and Ian's phone was with him. I could have used the telephone provided in the room but it was only connected to the reception table and worked only for the building and not outside. There was no other way of communicating. I was stuck here. The thought of being stuck made me panic more. I knew panicking at this moment won't help me so I thought of taking a shower. A shower would definitely clear up my head.

I jumped out of the bed and went to the bathroom. It was a tiny room with just a shower head at one corner, a W.C. at other and a wash basin on the opposite side with a hazed mirror fixed on the wall above. Glancing at the floor, I cringed at the thought of my clothes touching the floor while undressing so I decided to take me clothes off in the room itself. I grabbed a towel from the closet and took a sniff of it first. Hmm. Chemical detergent smell. Clean. I undressed in the room and wrapped the towel around me. Taking a warm shower was a good idea. It didn't help greatly but it definitely sooth my sore thigh muscles and cleaned off the thin layer of dirt from my skin that I gathered last night running for my life.