Chapter 18

As soon as the words left Ian's mouth there was a knock on the front door. We both went still with fear. None of us moving from our places.

"Do you think it's them?" I asked Ian in whispers. Though I knew even if I speak louder my voice won't pass through the door. It was just a fearful habit which Ian himself picked up.

"I don't know."

"Did you give him the address? To Agent North?"

He gave me a stiff nod. "Uh huh."

"Oh, Ian! What are we gonna do now?" Panic escalated within me and I started pacing up and down. A few seconds later, another series of knock resounded the living room making me quack. "Oh god! Oh god! Oh god!"

"Calm down Chas. Let me check the door first." He stood up from the chair.

In a flash, I blocked his way. "Don't you dare open the door."

"I'm not going to. I'll just see through the peephole and check. Okay?" He placed his hand on my cheek caressing my skin with his thumb. If he thought it would sooth me he was so wrong. I was on a whole new level of panic.

My hands shot out and grabbed his shirt in a tight grip. "What if they shoot you?"

"They can't shoot through the door."

"What if they slam open the door?"

"The door is locked."

"What if they..." Ian shook me not so gently breaking me out of my hyperventilating episode.

Looking straight into my eyes he said, "Chas. Breathe. Okay. Breathe."

I blinked once. Twice. And few more times. Absorbing his words and letting my brain comprehend them and send out instructions to my jittery body parts. My lungs seemed to get the order quite quickly as I breathe again. "Uh huh."

He said in a tone strictly assigned for toddlers, "Now. Listen to me. I'll go and see who's there on the door. I won't open it. Just see through the peephole. If there's anyone either of Ramone's or Damian's gang. Or even the agents we'll leave through the back door. Okay?"

Getting no response from me whatsoever, he continued. "Nod your head up and down if you understood and sway lift and right for a no."

What I gave in response was a combination of nods. Both up and down and right and left. There were another couple of knock on the door. This time, they were impatient.

"I need to go and check now." Ian made a move to step away from me but I held on to him.

"I'll go with you too."

His eyes wandered from me to the door and then back at me. Making a grunting sound at the back of his throat, he finally agreed. We walked together to towards the door and once we were near the door I looked up to Ian. He hesitated for a moment then place his head on the door with one eye looking through the hole.

I stood behind Ian holding my breath in dreadful anticipation.

"Hello? Ian?"

Ian backed off the door suddenly and collided into me. To avoid falling I caught Ian which didn't help much as we both went down together with him on top of me. To say the least I found out how heavy Ian was as I felt my bones crushing painfully. Not to forget my precious derriere that suffered the most of the impact. Ian tried getting up but instead tangled our limbs even further.

"What was the sound? You both okay?" The voice came from the outside making me confused as why the killer would ask us such questions.

Somehow we untangled ourselves from each other and stood up. Well, for me standing up was a bit of difficult thanks to Mr. Three hundred pounds. Okay. Three hundred pounds was a little exaggerating but in my defense, it felt no less than three hundred pounds.