Chapter 24

The gun was pressed again Ian's body before I hit Ramone with the rod.

Oh, my god! What if... what if...

No. I can't be. It just can't.

My body was trembling. Each step I took was so unstable that it was a miracle that I didn't fall already. Ramone was on top of Ian so I didn't know who actually moved. With shaky hands and dreadful fear gripping my heart I pushed Ramone's body away and knelt down beside Ian.

Ian was lying on his stomach so I couldn't see his face. He was so still. My mind was telling me to touch him but no matter how much I willed I couldn't move my hand. The fear of confronting the unimaginable was too much for me.

"Ian." A sob escaped my lips. "Ian?" No answer. No movement.

My heart felt like it was being torn apart into pieces. I could actually feel the physical pain in my chest. Raw and agonizing. That's when I truly understood the weight of losing someone so dear. It was crushing me.

I threw myself on him and started crying helplessly. It felt like forever as I cried clutching onto his back. The smell of him mixed with the smell of sea salt and blood. The softness of the shirt's fabric. It was just the other day I was thinking how different he looked in a button down shirt. And the warmth I have become so familiar with. The warmth that also made me feel safe. To think that it won't be there anymore to make...

"No offense but I think you have gained some weight."

Huh?

"Ian?"

"Who do you think you lounging on then?"

The world seemed to stop at that moment. Everything literally felt like it moving in a slow motion. Even me as I sat up. Ian slowly pushed himself off the ground. If I was not so shocked I would have helped him get up seeing that he clearly was struggling. But like I said I was shocked. Shell-shocked to be specific.

"Chasity? Hey! You okay?" I felt a gentle tapping on my cheek. "Snap out of it." And a not so gentle tap which seemed to have worked.

"Ian?"

One second.

Two seconds.

"Ian."

Three seconds.

"Ian!!"

And for the second time I threw myself on him. "Oh, you're alive! Oh god! You're alive!" Relief flooded me and I cried even more.

Weak but at the same time strong arms surrounded me making me feel safe again. "Don't cry, Chasity."

"I thought... I thought...you..." The uncontrollable hiccups didn't let me finish the sentence.

"Stupid girl." Ian chuckled. "How could I? I had made so many promises to you. Until unless I fulfill all of them I'm going nowhere. So stop crying now."

He removed one arm around me and lifted my face up. "Crying doesn't suit you. Nor does the snot."

Feeling offended, I pushed him away. "I don't have snot on me."

That infamous smirk found its place back on his face. "Sure you don't."

I touched my nose doubtfully and sure there was a little bit of snot. Just a little bit, okay. My cheeks burned with embarrassment as I tucked my head down.

With a sudden jerk, Ian pulled me towards his body. His chest rumbled under my palms as he chuckled. "Oh my little red tomato, don't be embarrassed. You can wipe away your snot on my shirt. I won't mind at all."