Chapter 8

Can we pretend that airplanes

In the night sky

Are like shooting stars?

I could really use a wish right now  

- Airplanes

******

"Ian..."

Before I could say another word he started dragging me by my arm to the back end of the bus. That's it!

I jerked my arm free from his hold. "Get off me!"

My little over the normal audible volume voice grabbed the attention of the other passengers in the bus. "I'm tired of you dragging me around."

Ian flushed as we became the centre of the attention of our little gathering. "Chas!" he whispered, "Please do not make a scene now. We'll talk about everything when we get down." His hand reached out to hold my hand once again but I slapped it off.

"I'm not getting down anywhere with you. Anymore!" By now the passengers were looking at us suspiciously but many of them were accusingly staring at Ian. I could guess what they were thinking. Good for him.

"Sweetums, I know you're hurt." He stepped closer to me. "I know you wanted to do it last night. But I was tired and... and stressed." 

Huh? 

"I can't do it every time. It gets tiring. I work like a hauling donkey for the whole day. And when I get home at night, all I want to do is take some rest. A nap at least. But... for you... for your happiness... your... pleasure. I still stay up."

"What?!"

"Last night I was too tired. After one round I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm sorry I fell asleep."

Whatever he was saying didn't make any sense to me. I just stared at him with a ridiculously confused face. But by the look on the passengers' faces, they knew what he was blabbering about. "I know without going thrice." The people gasped loudly. "Or four times." Another synced gasp. "Or five times." Another gasp. This one was louder. What the hell is he talking about? "You're not satisfied."

"Sure for the size of this lady it doesn't look like she would... be of such a vigour. But what can we say? Looks can deceive you."

I gave a crazy look to the old lady wearing a cloche hat. Who wears that kind of hat anymore?

"Ma'am. With all due respect, this is our family matter. I don't want to sound rude but I'd appreciate if you don't interfere with it," Ian with oh so gentleness said to the old lady.

"Ah! Such a nice lad you are. We don't see boys like you anymore." She looked at him adorably. She then fixed her eyes on me but all the adoration she had in them for Ian vanished and was replaced by disapproval. I sure as hell remember I didn't kick her dog. "And for you lady. You better start appreciating the efforts your man is making for you. Even though I don't understand what he saw in you." Her eyes swept over my attire. Of course with disapproval. Well, I couldn't blame her for that. I was, in fact, wearing my pajamas while Ian was decently dressed in a pair of denim and a T-shirt. He had a jacket too which I don't remember seeing him wearing it last night along with a bag.

"If I were you I wouldn't treat such a gentle admirable husband like the way you're treating him." Words seemed to escape me. I was staring at the lady with my jaws unhinged. Someone, please tell me what's going on?