[14] Bye, Life

Chapter 14: Bye Hobbits, Bye Everything That Was Ever Classified As Normal

Faramir was in a much better mood now that I had decided to stay here. He even sent for his men to get some ale for us.

One of the men came back and whispered in his ear. His face drained off all colour though, when he heard about half the barrel being gone.

Faramir glanced over at me, and I winked at him. It was his own fault for tying me up to a barrel of ale!

One of his eyebrows raised and he signaled for the man to leave.

“I can see why Boromir would have gotten along with you.” – he muttered, “It’s like talking to a ruder, female, Boromir!”

I rolled my eyes and snorted, not really sure whether to take that as a compliment.

I reached into my pack and pulled out my pipe. Pippin had given it to me when we were in Lothlorien, before we had our drinking contest. He had handed it to me before we had started to drink, saying that if I won then I could keep it.

It was one of Pippin’s favourite, and one that I had admired. It was a creamy colour, with black swirls carved into the sides. Pippin told me that it had been carved from the tusk of a dead Oliphant, so I guess it could be classified as ivory.

I pushed some of the leafy material that the people of Middle Earth smoked into the pipe, and lit it with my lighter.

I leaned back against the chair, and thought of the others. Were Pippin and Merry still alive? And what of Boromir? Fred and I hadn’t been able to contact him since we had left the forest. Fred didn’t think that he was dead, but that the Ents were somehow blocking the reception of everything in that area – unless you were right there.

Faramir leaned forward and handed me some leafy material.

“Here, this is better. This is Gondorian leaf. Much stronger, then Hobbit leaf.” – he urged, the leaves in his outstretched palm.

“No thanks.” – I told him, tapping the pipe, “I’ll stick with this.”

He shrugged his shoulders, and put the leaves back in the pouch that hung on his waist.

“You smoke?” – I asked him as I blew a cloud across the cave.

“No, Boromir and I never smoked.” – Faramir replied as he glanced at the ceiling of the cave.

“He smokes now.” – I told him, a little smugly, happy that I knew a fact about his brother that he didn’t.

Faramir’s head snapped up, and he glanced over at me,

“Boromir smokes?”

‘No.” – I told him sarcastically, “I just used that line to start a conversation!”

I rubbed my temples angrily at Faramir’s stupidity.

He was watching me intently, I could tell. My head snapped up, and he looked away quickly.

“Do you want to try?” – I asked him.

His eyes bugged out, and he squeaked, “Try what?”

I took a deep breath trying to calm down, “The pipe.”

“Oh!” – Faramir answered, reaching for the pipe in my outstretched hand.

He sucked it a huge breath, and his eyes began to water. Faramir yanked the pipe from his mouth and doubled over coughing. I hit him on the back as he coughed.

“That is the weak stuff?” – he asked me, between coughs.

“Yep.” – I told him, waiting for him to get his breath back.

He loaded the leaves from the pouch onto my lap.

“Here!” – he coughed, “I don’t want them!”

I pocketed the leaves, pleased with getting them, as Faramir wiped at his watering eyes.

Fred chuckled, ‘Way to see how tough somebody is, eh?’

I ignored Fred for the first time in a while.

“When are Frodo and Sam leaving?” – I asked him.

He looked up at me, blinking red eyes.

“After they eat.” – he told me, and I sat back to smoke my pipe in silence.

Later,

Frodo and Sam stood in front of me, getting ready to leave.

“If we run into the others we will tell them where you are, and they can come and get you!” – Frodo told me, giving me a hug.

“Oh, and you are tougher than Sam or I, Ravera. I am sorry that I gave you such a hard time.”

I shrugged my shoulders, as he backed up.

“I would be even tougher if I came to Mordor to.” – I told him, tipping the ashes from my pipe onto the ground beside me.

This time Sam stepped forward.

“You are sacrificing yourself for the good of the mission.” Sam told me, “You are very brave.”

He gave me a hug to, and then they were leaving.

“Good luck, cause everyone knows you need it.” – I told them.

Then I dug in my pack, and emptied all the food, and medicine I had into their packs.

“Just a little extra” – I explained when they looked up at me.

I watched as they disappeared into the distance, and the sun set behind the hills.

‘Goodbye Hobbits, goodbye anything that was even the slightest bit normal!’ – I thought to myself as I looked around.

It was ridiculous. I was stuck in a camp, with only one person that I had met, in the wrong world, after being separated from my sister, and friends.