[9] Enter The Worm

Chapter 9: Enter the Worm

I pointed my sword at the creatures neck, causing it to whine and moan pitifully,

“No, please don’t hurt Sméagol!”

I didn’t remove my sword though, and glanced down at it. It was pathetic, it’s bones stuck out, it’s skin was yellow, and stretched, it had about four teeth in it’s head, and it was almost bald. Plus it was covered it dirt, and only wearing a loincloth.

“Ravera?” – a small voice asked me, and I spun around.

Frodo and Sam stood behind me with an expression of shock on their filthy features.

“Yep. Aren’t you happy to see me?” – I asked.

Frodo and Sam jumped on me, knocking me over onto my back, causing me to laugh, and then cough when I couldn’t breathe.

They got off me, and helped me to my feet concerned.

“We thought that you were dead!” – Frodo told me, “What happened?”

I filled them in, on everything that had led up till now, and they listened with rapt expressions.

“So the Fellowship is broken up.” – Frodo said, and I could see how weary he was.

‘Boromir with Pippin, and Merry, you with us, Gandalf dead, and the rest of them hopefully together.”

I nodded my head. I hadn’t actually thought about it until now.

“Yes” – I agreed, sheathing sword.

Gollum (who is also called Sméagol) crawled under a bush sobbing, and Frodo went over to try and comfort him.

Sam rolled his eyes, and I could tell that he did not like Gollum either.

Finally the sniveling Gollum crawled out from under the bush, and I tapped my foot to get his attention.

“We need to get going again.” – I told him, glancing up at the sky.

“We are an open target here, I don’t like it.”

Sam and Frodo nodded, and Gollum scuttled ahead, “Follow Sméagol masters. Sméagol will lead you, and the nasty, tall, hobbit!”

I shouldered my pack, and set off after the others.

Frodo walked beside me, “Your coming with us?”

I nodded my head sharply and gave him a bit of a ‘duh’ expression, “Yes. What did you expect?”

Frodo looked a little guilty, and clenched my teeth.

“You still think that I can’t do anything because I am a girl don’t you?”

He blushed, and looked at his feet.

“I thought so.” – I growled.

We walked in silence for a while until Sam said that we had to stop.

Sméagol snuck off, so I turned to Frodo and asked, “When did the worm enter?”

Frodo looked confused for a moment, before comprehension dawned on his features.

“Why do you call him that?” – he asked me angrily.

I bent down to his level, and looked him in the eye.

“Because Frodo, I know what he did or will do in the feature. He is not to be trusted. Gollum is to strong for Sméagol, the temptation will not wane for him. This you must know.”

Frodo nodded his head, “Thank you for this information. Maybe I can help him, and stop him from causing this trouble!”

I just shook my head, Frodo was to kind for his own wellbeing!

Gollum came back out of the shadows, practically hopping with joy.

“Look what Sméagol finds master! Look!” – Gollum was carrying two rabbits, which he quickly deposited at Frodo’s feet.

He grabbed one and snapped it in half, “They are young, they are tender, they are nice!” – he chortled, ripping a chunk from one with his teeth.

I watched Frodo in interest to see what he would do. He looked horrified.

Sam came over and snatched the rabbits from Gollum’s hands.

“You’ll make him sick you will! Behaving like that!” – he looked down at Gollum in disgust, and Frodo wiped his tear filled eyes on his sleeve.

“There is only one way to cook a brace of coneys!” – Sam snapped at Gollum, as he laid the rabbits out on a rock.

I watched with interest as he skinned them, and then took the bones out to. He made a fire, and put a pot on it, poring in some water from a large canteen at his waist.

Then he dug around in his pack, and pulled out some Lembas bread. He broke it up in his hand and tossed it into the pot to. Then when the water was bubbling he added the rabbit. He looked at the stew (I think that is what it was) sadly, and muttered,

“If only I had some greens to put in it!”

I dug around in my pack and pulled out some leafy material which Boromir had told me was safe to eat. Then I looked over at Frodo,

“Do you have a spare chain?” – I asked him, as he looked up surprised.