Chapter 2

Kasey's POV

August 3, 2014

Boston, MA

It had been over two weeks since my audition, and it was slowly killing me more each day. Did I blow it? Did I miraculously make it? Not knowing was making me insane. So I busied myself with dancing, doing chores, or making cookies, like I was doing now. I was elbow deep in a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough at the moment, when my phone rang. My heart leaped like it did for every phone call, knowing it could be my agent. I quickly calmed down when I saw it was my best friend Amber calling.

"Kasey! How ya holding up?" her cheerful voice rang out.

"Oh, you know, just coping with my anxiety by baking literally everything. Completely normal and fine," I laughed and glanced towards the counter taken up by six containers- sugar cookies, blueberry muffins, brownies, coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, and there was an empty one ready for my chocolate chip cookies. My mom couldn't even pretend to be mad because she got to eat it all.

"You're gonna give me some, right?"

"Of course," I assured. "I made brownies, your favorite."

"Love to see it," she giggled. Amber then went on a long, encouraging spiel while I put a pan of cookies in the oven.

"No matter what you find out- you at least gave it a shot. I'm proud of you."

"Thanks Amber. For everything," I smiled, even though she couldn't see my smile. After I hung up, I let out a long sigh. I know I'd find out soon enough, but it felt hopeless. I wanted this part so bad, for a lot of reasons.

In a way, I felt as if I related to Young Katherine to a degree. I'd spent so much time reading the story they had given her over and over. I'd seen the script a thousand times, it seemed. Growing up, she was treated horribly just because she had a passion that not many other women had at the time. Even though she'd been told so many times she'd never get her chance or that she'd fail, she never gave up. She persevered and became a reporter.

Maybe it was a little silly to compare my life to Katherine's, but I just hoped I'd end up like her after her childhood- doing what she loved most. I just don't think I've ever felt a sense of belonging, or a feeling of being content unless I was performing. I wanted to do what I loved all the time so I guess this is why I had big expectations for my audition. If I got the part, it could be a serious start to a potential career. I spaced out for a minute as I thought about all this, so it took me a minute to realize Bryce was vigorously waving his hand in front of me.

"Oh- what?"

"Your phone is ringing." I gasped.

"Bryce! Answer my phone! My hands are sticky, that's my agent!"I yelled and Bryce rolled his eyes and got up from the kitchen table and retrieved my phone. Instead of handing it to me and putting it on speaker, Bryce himself answered.

"Bryce!" I loudly whispered and gave him an evil look. He just smirked.

"Hello? No, this is her brother speaking. She can't speak right now. Yes. Mm hm. Okay. Yes I'll be sure to tell her, thanks." He hit end, and looked at me very solemnly. That's when I knew, I hadn't got it. Just like that, my dream was gone.

"I'm sorry to tell you, that you have got the part." Bryce sighed in a pained voice. At first my mood deflated. Realizing what he actually said, my heart leaped and I flinched, shocked.

"Bryce!!! Are you for real?" I screamed and jumped on him playfully laughing as I hugged him unexpectedly, and he laughed too.

"That was mean!" I complained, but I couldn't stay mad at him. I did it. I went around the house dancing as my mom and other brothers came downstairs wondering what the commotion was.