Chapter 21: Dream

I was born in France on June the twenty first of 1919 under the name of Jacques Dantes. My father was a very successful businessman so I was brought up in high wealth. I was born as the middle child; my two brothers were named Nathan and Drake, Drake being the oldest and Nathan being the youngest. My family moved from Paris to Warsaw Poland in 34. It was there that I met her, my dear wife Amber Goldsmith.

    The reason we met was because our Fathers started up a business. Her family came over to my house to have dinner one night. She was wearing a beautiful white and red dress that day. Her face struck me completely, especially when we both looked at each other. I could tell that the same thing happened to her because she tripped as she looked away. The two of us stayed completely quiet through out the whole dinner, all we kept on doing was stare at each other from across the table. The dinner ended and I went straight to bed even though I wasn’t tired. The next day I gathered up the courage to ask my dad for her house number. I called and the next thing I knew, we were going on a date.

    Our parents didn’t mind us being together since both families were close. The two of us got married and went to study at Oxford University in England when we were 19. Life seemed perfect; I didn’t even know who I truly was. The night we arrived at our new home as newly weds I stood still for a minute. Amber didn’t notice it, we were in bed. My memories of the past came to me all at once. The beginning, the wars, the deaths, my powers, it all returned to me. “No…” I said in the darkness. For the first time I had no wish to start a war, all I wanted was to be with Amber. I didn’t sleep at all that night, the thought of Raum starting out a war somewhere in the world didn’t leave me alone.

    What I didn’t know was that Raum had started long before I got my memories. He gave a contract to a man in Germany, granting him the wish to rule the world with an iron fist. That man gathered up his followers and filled them up with the emptiest lies ever to exist, yet they believed them. The man had the strongest contract Raum had ever made.

    I didn’t know about it until September of the next year. It was a day of both good and bad news. I got home from University earlier than Amber, so I was the one who answered the phone. Drake called to tell me that Warsaw had been attacked; Amber’s sisters, her mom, my mom, and Nathan didn’t make it out alive. The rest of the two families were going to board a train to the safest city close by and then make it to London. I was grim until Amber came home a few hours later. She had groceries bags and was in a cheerful mood. She set the bags down and ran towards me the instant she got home. “Guess what!” she said hugging me tightly.

    “What?” I asked still feeling grim.

   “I’m pregnant!” she said cheerfully. I smiled but I couldn’t shake the grief off me. “I thought you’d be happy?” she said noticing me.

    “I’m happy to hear that, but I got bad news, sit down.” I said as I started to explain everything. I can’t remember for how long she cried. All I remembered was the feeling that Raum was behind it.

    The two of us thought about moving to a different country as the news of a second world war came through the radio and newspapers. The two of us were living in Denmark by the ends of that year. She had our baby in early April of the next year; we named him Isaac after her father. It was around that time that I got the telegram from Raum. It asked me to go to Berlin to meet up with him. I ignored it but more kept coming. It got to the point where I eventually answered him. I told him that I had no intention of leading a war. The two of us kept passing along messages (coded of course) for almost a year while things got bad throughout Europe. He finally got me when there was news of genocide targeting the Jewish community.

    “What exactly do you want from me?” I asked as I talked to him through a street phone.

    “I want to do what we’ve always done.” He said. “If we work together the Kingdoms will have no choice but to come out and try and calm things down. It’ll be than that we’ll start the Great Last War. You should see the weapons that are being made, they’re beautiful! They even have a weapon that can fire from kilometers away!”