Chapter 14: The gunman at the movies

The gunshots sounded again. Oh shit! I thought as I raced past the people, everyone was confused. The panic started again just as I passed them. I heard people screaming all around me as I followed the smell of gunpowder to the lobby. I started worrying the instant I could smell a familiar warm metallic and salty smell in the air, fresh blood.

     “Kristine, do something!” I yelled as I ran at a slow speed similar to the one humans ran at. Her ears could hear me, I knew that, but I wasn’t sure if she could do any more than I could.

     I saw the full scene as I reached the end of the entrance to the lobby. There was a man wearing a long hooded white jacket. He had his hood up and was holding a magnum gun in both hands. I saw five people wounded two security guards in the entrance, a clerk, and two civilians. Everything was empty; the only places with people were the arcade and the halls. I felt a need to run in and kill him before he killed anyone else. He turned to face me the instant the instant I reached the area, almost like he knew I was there. “Hello Logan Nightroad, I’ve been sent by Phantom.” He whispered. I was the only one who probably heard him. “Speak in a whisper; I’ll be able to hear you.”

     “The police are on their way!” I yelled at him as I walked slowly towards him. “Are you in the Kingdoms too?” I whispered as I was getting ready to Zone. He instantly pulled up his gun and shot three bullets at me. He moved slowly on purpose, I immediately ran back at a reasonable speed and sheltered myself behind the wall in the hall. The bullets hit the wall and didn’t go through. I wanted to kill him in a flash but I couldn’t do much; there were cameras and people around.

    “No one play hero or you’ll die!” yelled the man as he nervously looked around. “Stay back, Janis warned me about Zoning.” He whispered hiding things as an act. The people all around the theater panicked at the sound of more gunshots. The shooter was smart; I couldn’t do much specially if I was behind a wall. I looked around where I was and saw the people hiding in the hall getting down and covering their heads. The whole place reeked of fear.

     “Is that a yes or no?” I said as I thought about what I could possibly do. I heard someone running fast in a panic at the other side of the lobby. I peeped from the side of the hall and saw a guy at the other edge running from the theater exit in an attempt to escape through the exit door. The shooter turned around slowly, raised his arm in a calm speed, and shot the man in cold blood. The bullet went through his head and killed him immediately as his blood and brains splashed. The body just fell lifeless as the force from running made it land further. NO!  I couldn’t believe what I just saw. I clenched my teeth and looked away. The feeling of seeing something like that and not being able to stop it made me feel powerless, I leaned against the wall and sat down against the wall with a desperate feeling.

    “I’m human.” whispered the shooter as he threw his empty gun. “I have sixteen shots left! Enough for sixteen more victims! Come on! Who’s next?!” He yelled out.

    “Why are you doing this?! It’s impossible for a human to!” I whispered. My eyes locked in with a girl that was in the hall, her eyes had tears.

    “Phantom gave me these powers and ordered me to do this so I can send a message; he knows your little plan by the way.” He whispered trying to look nervous; it was there that I heard Kristine curse out loud somewhere outside, she heard the whole thing.

    “What…” I said feeling a huge wave hit me, I peeped from the edge of the hall again so I could look at him while I talked.

    “You heard me, Phantom was aware of all your plans.” He whispered. “I know you didn’t come alone like you said you would, your friends are waiting for you in the theater and your girlfriend is on the roof thinking of what to do.” He pointed his gun at the ceiling and pulled the trigger.