Drowning (From my other oneshot book (Deleted))

(This is completely true but happened many years ago. Because of the time that this happened, some things may be inaccurate.)

(If you are sensitive to drowning, deadly situations, or are easily shaken, do not read this story. Readers' discretion is advised.)

It was summer and my family and I were invited to my mother's friend's pool party. The weather at that time was warm and perfect for swimming. As such, everybody sat around the pool, relaxing while the children splashed about.

My friends and I decided to play tag in the pool. A boy, let's call him Jack, was elected as "it" and all of my friends swam away, trying to keep away from him.

I swam into the deep end along with a few other of my friends as Jack targeted me, following my movements. He swam over to me as I giggled and yelled, "YOU'RE IT!" Before things went downhill.

Instead of tagging me, he pushed me down, under the water suddenly. I had no time to breathe or even prepare myself. As I swam back to the surface, shocked by the action of the younger boy, he pushed me back under, forbidding me from taking a breath.

The cycle repeated and repeated until my lungs were screaming for air. My very limited oxygen supply was running out fast and felt light-headed. I kicked and cried out under the water, Jack never letting me get a sufficient enough breath.

Whenever I pulled my head up, I let out a choked yell to my mother who, at the time, was talking to one of my friend's moms. She couldn't hear me. The splashing and screaming of the other children drowned out my calls for help.

The torture seemed to last for decades, my need for oxygen increasing until it was like a beehive trapped in my chest, forcing me to breathe water.

"I'm going to die," I thought. "This is it.."

As if by a miracle, I escaped my captor's grasp and took a gigantic gulp of air, coughing and gasping, grasping at my lifeline until I had it securely tied to my body once again. I climbed out of the pool and sprinted to my mother, salty tears flowing down my cheeks like a waterfall.

"M-Mommy!" I gasped. "Jack-he..D-d-..." I couldn't make my words comprehensible, each pause giving way to a shaky, uncontrollable cry.

My mother's eyes widened as she took me aside, away from the pool, and let me calm down enough to explain. Apparently, the ordeal happened in just a matter of seconds as my mom looked away. For the rest of the party, I sat with my mom and dad, eating snacks and not swimming.

I almost met death that day, and I will never forget it.