I Can't Stay

A/N: Here's another chapter. I hope you like it. Comment! Enjoy!

I sat up and looked out the window at the night sky. It was hard to see any stars with all the lights below. 

I quietly changed into a black turtleneck, black, leather fingerless gloves, my black leather jacket, a pair of black, leather fitted pants, and my black combat boots, careful of my shoulder. I knew I looked suspicious. Hey, I was trying to blend in with the sky.

My hair was pulled into a side braid draped over my shoulder. I pulled a black beanie onto my head, shouldered my backpack and walked to the door.

I felt something against my leg and turned around. Abby stood at my feet, poking me with her nose. She looked up at me and whimpered. I knelt down and pet her head.

"Sorry, Abby. I have to do this. Take care of Steve for me, all right?" I whispered. When I said his name, Abby looked at Steve.

Steve was in his bed, asleep. I stayed in his room to help me fall asleep since I was jumpy from Jess's attack, and since my window now had a hole in it. I also wasn't too happy about Jess staying in the tower. It was pretty hard to function with her there. She's just lucky I didn't march down there right then. Everybody was asleep, and I could easily get at her.

I stood up and Abby jumped onto the bed, curling up next to Steve. I smiled at her. She was a smart puppy.

Leaving the room, I quietly shut the door.

I hurried toward the door that led to the roof. As I walked through the living room, Nat waved at me. She was in her pajamas, sitting on the couch watching the Hunger Games.

I guess going after Jess wouldn't have worked after all.

"What are you doing awake? And why are you dressed like that?" Nat asked.

"Umm, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, so I thought I'd fly around for a little bit." I lied.

"Why are you dressed in black? And what's with the backpack?"

"So no one will see me and snacks."

"Makes sense. Where's Steve?"

"He's stills asleep." I replied.

"All right. Well, have a nice flight." Nat smiled.

I opened the door and walked through, closing it behind me. She knew I was lying, but trusted my decision.

Thanks, Nat.

I had to leave, no matter how bad I felt. Jess had personally come after me. How many other HYDRA members knew where I was? With me around, Steve would never be safe. HYDRA would stop at nothing to kill me. Besides, if I stayed any longer, I'd eventually kill Jess.

I stood at the edge of the roof, looking down at the city. The sky was dark, hardly any stars visible because of the city's lights. It was beautiful.

Where was I going to go? I had no idea.

I jumped from the building. The air whipped at my face, a feeling I used to only get when driving my motorcycle. My hair whipped around in the wind. I spread my enormous wings and used them to glide through the air and carry myself back up. 

I felt tears stinging the back of my eyes. I was leaving and I lied to anyone that asked me what I was doing or told me to stay.

Don't look back. Don't look back. This is to protect them.