Sometimes the Past Hurts

After a few minutes of sitting in my room, Steve walked in. "Ryan told me why you ran away again." Steve said.

I nodded and pat the spot next to me. Steve sat next to me and placed his hand on mine, sending a shiver down my spine. "I have to tell you about my family."

"Are you sure?" Steve asked, knowing that I never spoke about them for a reason.

"Yes." I took a deep breath, let it out, and started. "My family was like any other family. We had our happy moments, sad moments, angry moments. But we were mostly happy." I sighed heavily, letting the memory I held so far away come back. "I was ten and my little sister, Abby, was four. My parents were taking us out to get a Christmas tree." I began the story, reliving every second of it.

Dad was driving the old car with my mom at his side. They were a beautiful couple who loved their family so much.

Snow fell around outside, gentle and harmless. I turned to Abby.

"Wanna play Paddy Cake?" I asked.

"Yeah!" Abby exclaimed. It was our favorite game.

"Paddy cake, paddy cake, baker's man. Bake me a cake as fast as you can." We played it several times, never tiring of it. 

The car suddenly slid and we went off the road into the forest. Everything went white, then black.

I opened my eyes and looked around, my vision fuzzy and unclear. Everything was still, except the falling, seemingly harmless, snow. I unbuckled and got out of the car into the cold winter air. Stumbling around, my head throbbed and my vision finally cleared. I could feel a stinging pain just above my right eye. I reached up and touched it, wincing. Looking at my fingertips, I gasped. Blood covered my fingers and began dripping down the side of my face from the new gash I had received. I ignored it the best I could, knowing it wasn't important at the moment.

I opened Dad's door and found a terrifying sight. Dad's head laid against the steering wheel, blood trickling down. I screamed and stumbled around to Mom's door.

"Mom! Mom, Dad's hurt!" I called out.

Something was wrong with my leg, but I ignored it. I opened Mom's door and screamed again. She looked just like Dad, her bloodied head laying against the dashboard. I fell to my knees, tears flowing down my cheeks.

The tears stopped when I remembered Abby was still in the car. I opened her door. She laid in her seat, her head bloody, but she was alive. I unbuckled her and pulled her out of the car, struggling with my leg. I snatched her teddy bear from the car as well, wanting to comfort Abby.

"Ally?" Abby asked.

"It's okay, Abby." I replied.

"Where's Mommy and Daddy?"

"Mom and Dad are," I bit my bottom lip, holding back the tears. How did you tell your four year old sister that your parents are dead? "They went to heaven." I replied softly. Abby began to cry. She knew exactly what I meant.

"I hurt." Abby whispered.

"I know." I looked down at her chest. Blood covered the area, and I didn't know what it was from. I knew she didn't have long, and knowing that brought more tears to my eyes.

"It's okay, Abs. You're gonna be okay. You'll get to see Mommy and Daddy."

"Really?" Her eyes slightly lit up.