Surprise!

A/N: Here's the big surprise! Please, please, please let me know what you think!

I walked down a hall and went into random room. It looked like a guest bedroom. I stood by the window and looked out. Sitting down on the edge of the bed, I took in the sights of New York at night. It was beautiful. I took in a much needed deep breath and held it for a moment before letting it out.

Watching Steve as he almost had his life torn from his body did something to me. And feeling my life almost get ripped from me was brutal. Learning that I was made to kill Steve ripped my heart into pieces and I couldn't handle it anymore.

As I sat watching the busy people of New York drive around, I felt an odd sensation in my back. I could feel the bones in my back shifting and changing. In fact, I could feel almost every bone in my body, moving and growing and changing position. I could feel my muscles becoming stronger. I began to feel lighter, and I swear I felt my bones becoming hollow.

All of it was painful, causing me to grunt through clenched teeth. Excruciating pain shot through my back, a sharp, stabbing pain. I felt like I was being butchered. I held in the screams as long as I could. With every second, the pain grew worse. Suddenly, I felt as if something was coming through my back, from inside me. I felt bones growing inside of my back, then coming out, attaching to new sockets in my shoulder blades.

I couldn't hold in the screams any longer. I screamed out in pain, in agony. Never before in my life had I felt a pain so horrifying. I writhed on the bed, getting myself tangled in the sheets, crying out in pain. The stabbing wouldn't stop.

The door to the room opened and I could hear a pair of feet coming toward me. I looked up to find Steve staring down at me with a worried and frightened expression.

***

Steve's POV

When I got to the room, what I saw was terrifying. Alexx was curled up in a ball of agonizing pain on the bed, tangled up in the sheets. I told everyone to stay out, then rushed to Alexx's side, my hands hovering over her body, unsure of what to do.

Alexx groaned and curled her body tighter, pain racking her body. She looked so fragile, but I knew she was stronger than she looked. And she used that to her advantage. But now, her body seemed as fragile as it looked, and it terrified me.

I examined her and saw two shapes poking at the sheets, coming from her back where her shoulder blades were.

The process was slow and put Alexx through tons of pain, but there was nothing I could do except try to comfort her.

Alexx gripped my arm tightly and looked up at me. "What's...happening to me?" she cried.

I couldn't imagine the pain going through her body. "It's okay. Just...just try to let your body finish what it's doing. We'll have Bruce figure it out." I smile sadly.

Alexx curled up in her ball of pain. I was worried. What if the pain killed her? People could only handle so much pain. What if this was too much?

Alexx stopped moving and relaxed, slowly exhaling. My heart stopped. I touched her shoulder, and when she didn't move, I checked for a pulse. She was still alive, just unconscious. I sighed in relief. Whatever happened to her must've finally finished. Thank goodness.

I pulled Alexx into my arms, keeping the sheet wrapped around her. I was afraid to see what was there. Standing up, I walked out of the room and into the living room. Everyone was gone. I laid Alexx on her stomach on the couch, sat down and laid her head in my lap. Then, I fell asleep.

***

Alexx's POV

I opened my eyes and found that I was in the living room, laying on the couch, my body still wrapped in sheets. I was on my stomach, my head in Steve's lap.

As I moved, Steve woke up. "Are you okay?" Steve asked.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice quiet. I was afraid of what the answer might be. I tried to get up, feeling weight on my back. "What happened to me? What's on my back?" I asked. I could feel something had grown out of my back and it didn't feel right.

I tried to stand up, but failed. Steve helped me stand up, and with him keeping me on my feet, I let the sheets drop. Steve gasped.

"What is it?" I asked.

I knew the things were attached to me, so I tried to move them. I could barely lift them, whatever they were. Each of them weighed a ton. At least, they felt like it.

Bruce walked into the room and gasped. I tried to walk, but with each step, I winced because of my extra limbs. Steve noticed. "Are you alright, Alexx?"

I stopped. "What is on my back?" I asked again, glancing behind me to see what it was.

"JARVIS, could you have Tony set up the lab?" Bruce asked.

"Of course, Doctor."

"Bruce?" I asked.

Bruce took a deep breath. "I don't know how to say it, but...it looks like you grew wings." He sounded confused.

I almost fell from what Bruce had said. Steve kept me on my feet. "A-Are you serious?" I asked. Bruce nodded. "How?"

"I don't know. I'm going to run some tests when you are feeling like yourself and can use the wings, or at least lift them." Bruce replied.

Steve sat me down on the couch again and let me rest my head on his shoulder. Eventually, my head was against his chest and I sat in his lap, my feet on the couch, my new wings taking up the rest of the couch. Bruce got a blanket and wrapped it around me, having difficulties with my large wings. Steve wrapped his arms around me and hugged me close, sending a shiver down my spine. I didn't dare hope that it was a loving gesture.

My body still ached from growing the enormous wings. I was exhausted. Bruce brought me a glass of water and some painkillers. I took a sip and held the glass in my lap, nervously rubbing my thumb against the smooth material.

"How do you feel?" Bruce asked, sitting on the chair beside the couch.

"Like I've been hit by a truck." I replied. "I'm pretty tired, too."

"Let me help you to bed." Steve said. He helped me to my feet and let me lean on him. Steve held my hand on his chest as we walked to a room, my wings dragging on the ground behind me.

We entered the room and walked toward the big, round bed. It was a nice bed, soft and very comfortable.

Steve helped me onto the bed. I laid down, my huge wings making it difficult. I had to sleep on my stomach with my wings draped over the sides of the bed because I didn't know how to fold them yet. Steve helped me get into a comfortable position, then stayed to make sure I could actually fall asleep. Once I was able to get comfortable, I was out like a light.

***

I was in the tower still, but nobody was around. The halls were bare, empty. Suddenly, Steve stood in front of me. I smiled and pulled him close, kissing him fiercely. In one hand, I held the collar of Steve's shirt, and in the other was a knife. I kissed Steve with such force, it was hard to breath.

As I kissed him, I shoved the knife into his chest. I stepped back, still holding his collar. An evil smile formed on my lips as I saw blood flow between Steve's lips. He had confusion and horror in his eyes. I pushed him and let go of his shirt, his body falling to the ground in a puddle of blood. I blew a kiss to Steve's body and walked away. 

Mission complete.