Chapter 182 - Sleepover

Start from the beginning

"Are your parents fighting?" She asked.

"Of course not, they never fight." I sighed.

"Sweetheart, something's going on, and if it makes you feel uncomfortable going home, we need to fix it." I felt her hand on my shoulder.

"It's just, its, Lin was upset earlier, and he was shouting, and drinking, and I'm just afraid, and I mean, it's all going to blow over by tomorrow, it's just, it was, I was scared." I sighed, "can I go to bed now?" I asked.

"Oh, um, of course darling, just, you were scared of Lin?" She asked.

"Mmhm." I nodded, wringing my hands.

"He's not going to hurt you. You must know that, Abi."

"I do, I just, I guess, sometimes I don't." I sighed, "it's just the yelling and the beer, it scares me.

"Oh, sweetheart, I'm sorry." She pressed a light kiss to my head.

"It's fine, I guess I overreacted."

"It's okay, it's understandable." She reassured me, and I heard my phone ding.

Mom:
Have fun tonight! Dad and I'll miss you tonight sweetheart.

Mija:
Okay. Love you.

"Who was that?" Sasha asked, as I pocketed my phone.

"My mom."

"Okay," she smiled, "well, how about we stay up and watch something?" She suggested, "I'll make popcorn."

"Okay."

•••

Lin's POV

"So," Vanessa started, we were sitting together on the couch, "did Abi say why she was staying with Sasha?"

"No." I shrugged, "she just came in and asked, then left."

"Oh. That just, it doesn't sound like her. She usually plans these things out, and I don't know, just, it doesn't sound like Abi."

"I know what you mean, she seemed, off, like, on edge, nervous, I don't know." I shrugged, "one sec, I need to make sure she's okay." I pulled my phone out.

Dad:
Hey, you okay? You seemed upset when you left. Just checking in.

She didn't respond for a couple minutes, so I tried again.

Dad:
Mija, did I do something?

Dad:
Seriously Peanut, are you okay?

"Lin, is she not answering?" Vanessa asked, looking at my phone.

"No." I sighed, upset, "I've just, I've had sort of a crappy day, and this isn't helping."

"Oh," concern passed over my wife's face, "what happened?" She took my hand, and gently rubbed it.

"CPS sent me copies of the emails they got saying that we were unfit parents."