Chapter 109 - Scrapbook

After school on Thursday, I was in Lin's car, and he was driving me straight to the theater.

"I cannot believe this happened." I said out of the blue.

"It's surreal." He agreed.

"It's just, I don't know. It's weird, I'm young, I haven't experienced things like this."

"I was about your age when I first remembered a composers death like this." He started, and I turned to look at him. "Jonathan Larson." He said, and I nodded.

"It's just, Prince. He's a legend, was a legend." I corrected myself, I was shocked, you just never entertained the thought that one day these people would die, it never crosses your mind. To you they're immortal, but they really aren't. "Besides the point," I switched the subject, "why are we getting there early?" I asked.

"Rehearsal." He replied, taking a sharp left.

"Oh, does this include me?" I asked.

"Yep." He smiled to himself, "you want to go into theatre? Professionally?" He asked.

"Of course I do. I mean, it's a pipe dream, but, it's the dream." I replied.

"Well, it doesn't just happen, it's not like in the movies where the main character is singing for her school talent show and gets discovered and gets a massive record deal. It's received through hard work, tons of it, and a degree. I want you to be able to make it, so, I want to push you towards the ability to get that degree." He explained, pulling into the parking lot near the Rodgers.

"I'm not complaining, I'm really grateful actually. I guess, rehearsals are just really fun with this cast." I shrugged. I knew what he was saying with the degree. You don't make it anywhere on Broadway without having gone to some fancy music college. Believe me, I know like 6 Carnegie graduates and 4 Juilliard graduates.

"Awesome Niñita," he hugged me into his side as he turned the corner to see people surrounding the stage door. "How? How do they find out when rehearsal starts?" I heard him muttering.

"I really don't want to do this." I whispered to him, referring to the mob surrounding the door.

"Why?" He asked, considering the slight fear in my voice.

"I'm afraid of them. They all know what happened. They aren't supposed to know. It sucks to be looked at like that. Like you're weak." I somewhat spat the last word, "I can't be weak." I admitted.

"And why can't you be weak?" He asked.

"Because, well, I've always had to fight for myself." I shrugged.

"Well, not anymore. I know you're used to being an adult, but it's your turn to be the kid. And when you're a kid, it's ok to be weak." He pulled me into a hug. "Ok, now, I'll protect you, it's what I'm supposed to do as your dad." With he pulled me close to his side with his arm wrapped around my waist. "We got this Niñita." He said, as we approached the hoard of screaming fans.

"Abi!" A girl standing near the door yelled, she was smiling, so, I wasn't afraid. Lin was walking really quickly, whilst managing to wave at literally everyone, "I got you something!" The girl said, when I was passing her, I detached myself from Lin.

"Me?" I asked, stopping walking.

"Yeah!" She was grinning, "it's inside! There's a really long letter too. You don't have to read it." She said.

"Oh! I'll read it!" I smiled at her, "thank you!"

"Niñita." I heard Lin, and I turned to look at him, he was inside, and was holding the door open, "come on."